Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
I've had USAA and Discover for about 12 years both, they are great to work with and on the ball. USAA has caught every bogus charge on my account within seconds.

Ditched Capital One fifteen years ago and never looked back. Company was a POS back then, can only imagine what it's like now.

·
Registered
706 Posts
For current/former military folk or immediate family, consider joining the Navy Federal Credit Union. My son served, allowing me to join, best decision I have made in choosing a financial institution. Great service by people here in the states you can talk to. They administer all of their own services, not farmed out to some call center who knows where. Much lower rates on their credit cards too as well as car loans and mortgages. I have my mortgage, HELOC, and credit cards with them. My only gripe is that the closest office is in Phoenix, 2 1/2 hours away, however I have not found anything I could not do over the phone if I could wait a couple of days to get a check mailed to me. Also only one free ATM in Prescott, but my account gives me two reimbursed ATM charges per month. I am not a employee, just a very happy customer.
Something to consider as an option if you want people you can work with and talk to.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
FWIW only: I'm a pretty big fan of Discover, and would highly recommend them. I have never, ever had a problem over my 15-plus years with them, they have spotted bogus charges and notified me faster than I ever would have noticed it, and the and the few times I have needed to call them, I spoke with someone in the US, who spoke perfect English. Additionally, it has a decent points system too.
Exact same experience. Been a card holder since 2004. I've never paid them a penny in interest, but have received thousands of dollars in bonus/gift cards. I made a large purchase of garage materials last month and ended up with enough points to get $200 in gift cards.

To the OP, they may say online is preferable, but have you tried calling Roku? Sometimes a phone call to whomever made the charge can clear things up faster than trying to get the CC company to remove it. As noted above, people scamming the system have cause the CC companies to scrutinize removing charging a lot harder. Roku customer support from google - 1 (816) 272-8106.

I also run a lot of things through paypal and discover. Like my motortend on demand subscription is through paypal with my discover card. I now have 3 ways to get unwanted charges removed, calling whomever charged them, paypal, and discover. I do the same on ebay, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Long Island.
I bet there are little collections of awesome cars off the beaten path, in warehouses and behind fences all over the City, and no telling what all over the countryside Upstate. I know there's a bunch of car nuts in Pennsylvania across the line.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
To the OP, they may say online is preferable, but have you tried calling Roku? Sometimes a phone call to whomever made the charge can clear things up faster than trying to get the CC company to remove it. As noted above, people scamming the system have cause the CC companies to scrutinize removing charging a lot harder. Roku customer support from google - 1 (816) 272-8106.
I called that # and the Visa supervisor called their super secret ROKU customer service number too. "We are experiencing higher than normal call volume, please
make any necessary account changes by visiting the webpage at blah blah blah.com and using your user account and password to access." WHICH I DON"T HAVE.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've had USAA and Discover for about 12 years both, they are great to work with and on the ball. USAA has caught every bogus charge on my account within seconds.

Ditched Capital One fifteen years ago and never looked back. Company was a POS back then, can only imagine what it's like now.
Don't get me started on USAA. Been with them for 33 years and they are a real PITA now on credit card disputes. My last run-in with them
had them backing the vendor (who actually has the parts in their possession) and telling me I have to pay the vendor. (No I'm not kidding and
no I'm not getting into the details on that deal)
I wouldn't automatically assume USAA is in your corner or that they "have your back"...... that company has changed as well.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Well, you should care. Lots of things in life are based on your credit score. One of the biggest is car insurance, you have a poor credit score you will pay A LOT more for insurance. My wife and I are debt free and have an excellent credit score, Michigan has the 2nd highest insurance rates in the country and our cars average $500 or so for 6 months. A buddy of mine is also debt free, but remarried a few years ago and his new wife let her house go back to the bank shortly after. Killed their credit score. They pay more than double what we pay for insurance. So yes, pay attention to your credit score.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts