Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a rattle when I rev the motor in my 66, actually the rattle happens when the RPMs are going down. I had always assumed the pipes were hitting something under the car or the trumpets were banging the openings in the valence. I looked a few times last year but never found anything hitting, I thought it was just a Ford thing. This weekend I put the distributor back on and I had the timing a few degrees off I got a helluva pop through the pipes and it sounded like there was a ton of junk rattling around in the pipes. I don't know how I am going to fix it yet but it feels good to finally make some progress.

I should just replace the whole thing. I am leaning towards 2 channel flows with duece and a half pipe. Would that be overkill for a C code? I figure it would be pretty loud (good thing) but would it be louder than the shorty glass packs it has now? Also if I upgrade the system should I stick with the louvered GT trumpets or go with a less restrictive tip? maybe some big old rice style coffee cans duct taped under the valence? LOL!

66 Coupe
C Code
http://biology2.biosci.wayne.edu/dave/must/st54.jpg

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Your assumption of overkill isn't far from the mark. Retaining the two barrel carb, a 2 1/2 inch exhaust would be way too much and likely hurt the torque of the engine. A 2 inch pipe, traditional turbo mufflers would bring out the best in your case. While the louvered exhaust tips are a little restrictive, you shouldn't see much if any impact coupled to the two chambered Flow Masters you are planning on using. Soundwise, I don't think they would be much different from your current exhaust

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would bet that the rattle is the broken fiberglass banging around in your glass pak mufflers!

1966 Coupe - GT - 4 speed
http://www.workforcescc.com/pdf/Side4.jpg

·
Registered
391 Posts
We've changed the exhaust around on several (five) Mustangs and Falcons, and the thing that surprised me is exhaust noise also is dependent on how hot the engine is. I am not sure how loud your car would be with two chamber Flowmaster and 2 1/2" exhaust, but it isn't going to be nearly as loud as you may expect. It will, however when engine speed increases, identify itself as sort of a stock engine by the sound. Sort of like wearing short trousers and showing off skinny legs.

My suggestion: Consider what your overall goals with the car is and what changes are necessary to make those goals. If your goals include a pretty hot engine, then consider which exhaust system makes the most sense.

Sorry about the preaching. It's just that I have been there done that, then done that again and gotten more experience than I wanted.

Russ

PS I surely does sound like flaked off rust in your muffler. Also, been there, done that.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44358030&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts