Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed that my Mustang rides higher in the front and started measuring. Drivers front is 7/8” higher that the passenger front. So I started investigating. Here’s what I found.
What caused this? How do I prevent it from happening again?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Your last post seems to have disappeared... Pot hole or severe bump may have caused this.
Pot hole may have extended the spring far enough to pop out of the saddle. I broke a ball joint on the interstate. If you see a sign that says "BUMP", pay attention and slow down.
If you replace the LCA, replace them both.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
The other post was just a duplicate of this one with only one picture.
My '67 has the Arning drop and slightly shorter springs so my springs do exactly that every time I jack the car up. I have to remember to "tuck them back in" before I let the car back down. I don't know if any of that applies to you.
The fractured arm brings to mind "just some good old' boys.." in an orange Dodge. Or maybe an egregious pothole or two.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
It also looks like your saddle bolt is cracking through the control arm. Jack up the front end and see if the shock pulls the saddle from the arm- that would allow the spring to pop out

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My '67 has the Arning drop and slightly shorter springs so my springs do exactly that every time I jack the car up. I have to remember to "tuck them back in" before I let the car back down. I don't know if any of that applies to you.
The fractured arm brings to mind "just some good old' boys.." in an orange Dodge. Or maybe an egregious pothole or two.
Yeah, I had trouble posting and did it over. Sorry for that double tap.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems like a limiting strap would help with that. I don’t hammer on the Mustang, I have a Bronco for that! But the PO might have ran it hard.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It also looks like your saddle bolt is cracking through the control arm. Jack up the front end and see if the shock pulls the saddle from the arm- that would allow the spring to pop out
The wheel is off and the suspension was hanging when I took these pics. Should I disconnect the sway bar, or take the shock out?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Having a deja-vu here... Get the shock out. Compress the spring and either repair (weld) the cracked LCA or replace it. Put the spring back where it belongs and watch out for pot holes.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It's been posted twice about fixing/changing out the LCA. Isn't it the UCA that's damaged?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You need a new upper control arm and possibly a spring perch. Do not attempt to weld it. Check the shock while it's out.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
You need to install roller spring perches when you replace the upper control arms. That will help avoid future cracked arms and give the other benefits of roller perches.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The perches don’t move at all, even in a vice. They will be replaced with rollers. I’m shopping around to find the best UCA for the price, leaning towards the Open Tracker at the moment. Gonna replace the LCAs with Moog complete assemblies. Sway bar end links appear good, strut rod bushings not sure yet.

·
Just some guy
20,662 Posts
It seems like a limiting strap would help with that. I don’t hammer on the Mustang, I have a Bronco for that! But the PO might have ran it hard.
The shock absorber does that. It's only during disassembly that it's an issue for me. I fiddle with my stuff a lot.

Part of owning a used car, you have no way of knowing its history. By the looks of it, that break is not a brand new problem

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Forensic report:
The Mustang sat for 8 years before I bought it one month ago and got it running. It appears to me that the spring perches were not pivoting at all and that led to fatigue cracks in the UCA. Then I started driving it and the UCA broke completely, allowing the spring to come out of the upper seat.

·
Just some guy
20,662 Posts
Definitely an issue that was brewing long before you got the car.
Reminds me of a guy I worked with who was consistently almost late for work. As such, he never seemed to have time to slow down for that one speed bump in the parking lot. Made me wince every time I saw him hit it. You just know he was hammering some parts or another in his car to death.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Hah. No, that didn't cause the damage shown. I know for a fact the first part to break is the shock tower around the A-arm mounts :) What can I say, I was a stupid teen !

Note: this behavior also leads to dented oil pans and flattened header tubes ...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm not sure the spring is not collapsed on one side at the top or it just looks that way from slipping out of place. The spacing between the coils are not right at the top. I have one on a '70 that collapsed on one side of the spring causing the spring to sit off center and the ride height to be off on that side.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts