Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some 289 rods that are drilled like the 69 351W rods. About a 1/4" spot on the bearing surface and then a tiny hole pointing up the rod at an angle. Any advantage here? I would have to drill my bearings to accomodate this little squirter hole. I have heard that this little trick made the 69 351W's oil the bottom very well, but then Ford(tm) stopped the practice almost immediately. Suggestions?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
About a 1/4" spot on the bearing surface and then a tiny hole pointing up the rod at an angle.

Piston cooling jet hole?

No advantage I can see, given the modern materials and lubricants used today.....and, given the tiny nature of the 289/302 rods, anything that could create stress raisers (like drilled holes and spotfaces) that isn't absolutely necessary would be something I'd avoid in a performance application. For a stocker? Not a worry. I remember when bearings came pre-drilled for this hole...guess they don't anymore.......I'd say just use your bearings and don't worry about the hole...

There are other holes at the small end of the rod, which I carefully drill at an angle and debur, which help oil the piston pin when I float the pins in engines like I use in the race car......I've run steel on steel floaters this way for years with good service.

I don't recall the rods in the '69 W in the race car having piston cooling holes but it's been a long time *G*...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts