Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 96 1500 Silverado today. 350/AT extended cab 2wd 148k.

Nice clean truck, runs well, everything works.

As a homeowner and classic Mustang owner, I need a truck. Mulch, mowers, engines, appliances, at some point I need to haul that stuff around.

I bought the same truck new in 95. Was happy with it, sold it at 50k, the only repair it ever needed was the inside driver door handle broke.

I wanted a F100 or F150, but havent found a nice one for the right price, so its a Chevy for now.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts

As a homeowner and classic Mustang owner, I need a truck. Mulch, mowers, engines, appliances, at some point I need to haul that stuff around.

I bought the same truck new in 95. Was happy with it, sold it at 50k, the only repair it ever needed was the inside driver door handle broke.

I wanted a F100 or F150, but havent found a nice one for the right price, so its a Chevy for now.
Blasphemy!!:wink:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I need a pickup truck in the worst way. As soon as I get done with the BMW and refurbishing my wife's new daily, it's next on the list. I would love a 67-72 Chevy truck, but we will see what's available when I'm in the market. If I was smart, I'd get something like what you did, but I'm really not.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Blasphemy!!:wink:
Yeah, I've heard that before... :pirate:

The 90's GM trucks were fantastic vehicles. They benefited from the simplicity of their electronics, yet had the best development of the small block Chevy in their Vortec engines. Most of the issues had been worked out of the 700R4/4L60 transmissions and the platform itself was very stout. I have friends that had 1500s and 2500s, none had any major issues and two trucks went well over 300k before being retired. Around here, rust usually takes a vehicle out of commission before it's ever worn out.

GM trucks I've had as drivers:

73 C-30 Silverado CC dually camper special
77 C-10 Silverado longbed
84 Suburban Silverado
89 Suburban Silverado 4x4
91 Suburban
07 Silverado 2500HD (current truck)

and the one Ford truck I've owned

77 F-250 4x4 Highboy

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 305 not a 350.

AT/PS/PDB/AC/PW/PDL/OD I went with the best deal for the money on this buy.

Dragging the wife to swap meets, the least I can offer is AC and a reclining seat.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
305 or 350 it's going to suck a lot of gas and be slow as molasses. That's just the way things were back then regardless of brand but it will still haul stuff! I was in construction for 35 years and have driven them all and they all stunk from 73 to 99 just like the cars. It will still get the job done, enjoy!

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
Most of the issues had been worked out of the 700R4/4L60 transmissions and the platform itself was very stout.
Ah hahaha, no, not really. For example, the owner of a local transmission shop built a new shop about 15 years ago and refers to it as "the house that Chevy built" and he's even a diehard Chevy fan, At the time he would stock up to a dozen of the variations of GM's 4l60, 4l60E, and 4l65E rebuilt and ready to go. No other types of transmissions were kept at the ready, just those. Not so much anymore, times have moved on.
That said, it's not necessarily a ticking time bomb at 150K. It could be, but lots of folks have happily driven theirs over 250K miles before having transmission problems. But boy a LOT of them didn't make it half that far. A bright side is if the transmission fails, a good rebuilder can upgrade it to where it will outlast the truck. And if you can keep the rust at bay a well maintained '96 C1500 can be passed down to the kids.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I search the interwebs once in awhile for a '99 2dr Tahoe that hasn't been abused. Most of what I've seen local is trashed and the others too far and the timing is wrong. I've had the explorer almost 20 years. Would be nice to have something different for awhile. Not really interested in the new cars with gobs of electronics.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Theres always a Debbie Downer in the crowd.

I have owned 3 other Gen4 C/K series trucks, 1 new, 1 used, 1 very used. Altogether I put maybe 75k on the 3 trucks. Never had an issue.

This truck runs good and with regular maintenance I expect it to run another 100k with few if any issues.

I will put 4-5k a year on it. Its not a DD or a hotrod, its just going to be a truck when I need a truck.

Tomorrow its going to get its first workout, Im going to buy a few bags of composted manure, a few bags of sand and a few bags of mulch.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Theres always a Debbie Downer in the crowd.

I have owned 3 other Gen4 C/K series trucks, 1 new, 1 used, 1 very used. Altogether I put maybe 75k on the 3 trucks. Never had an issue.

This truck runs good and with regular maintenance I expect it to run another 100k with few if any issues.

I will put 4-5k a year on it. Its not a DD or a hotrod, its just going to be a truck when I need a truck.

Tomorrow its going to get its first workout, Im going to buy a few bags of composted manure, a few bags of sand and a few bags of mulch.

Sounds good. Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
You needed a truck to do truck stuff for less than 50 grand. Never found one makes 1/2 ton to be particularly better than another's in any given year range. Now go do truck stuff!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Ah hahaha, no, not really. For example, the owner of a local transmission shop built a new shop about 15 years ago and refers to it as "the house that Chevy built" and he's even a diehard Chevy fan, At the time he would stock up to a dozen of the variations of GM's 4l60, 4l60E, and 4l65E rebuilt and ready to go. No other types of transmissions were kept at the ready, just those. Not so much anymore, times have moved on.
That said, it's not necessarily a ticking time bomb at 150K. It could be, but lots of folks have happily driven theirs over 250K miles before having transmission problems. But boy a LOT of them didn't make it half that far. A bright side is if the transmission fails, a good rebuilder can upgrade it to where it will outlast the truck. And if you can keep the rust at bay a well maintained '96 C1500 can be passed down to the kids.
I agree, the early versions were REALLY bad. I did lots of 200-4R and 700R4 units when I worked at the tranny shop, but after the updates and revisions, the later pre-electronic units were light years ahead.

At least it wouldn't smoke the entire tranny in 3 seconds when a one cent plastic clip broke *cough* AOD *cough*

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

Ive got a friend with a 95/96 f150 short bed 2wd with real low miles that he'd sell, Its a really clean truck. located in VA but he can get it to GA pretty easily. PM me and i'll get you his contact info.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spent $300 on preventative maintenance this weekend.

I changed the radiator, both bypass hoses, both radiator hoses, both heater hoses and the heater core.

All that work took less than a day and was the easiest radiator and heater core I have ever changed.

The next day I did the tranny fluid and both exterior door handles.

Next up will be plugs and wires.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The PO tells me how great the mileage is.

Ok, I say, but Im thinking these things get sucky mileage.

Got out on the interstate today. At 70mph according to my gps, the truck speedo was reading 85mph.

Based on the mileage signs on the interstate, I figure for every mile the odo reads, Im actually going .7 miles.

Thats a quick and easy way to improve mileage, just redefine what a mile is.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
lol. I've spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a 96, 00, and now a 2015 with a 5.7, 5.3 and 5.3 respectively. Expect 13-14 "around town" (and probably "average") and with the 2wd you can actually hit 18 on the interstate, but that's 100% interstate. You start any kind of mix driving and it drops quick. I've owned/driven silverados for over 20 years. They're excellent trucks. I've never had a drivetrain failure on any of them. I traded my 2000 in with 185K on it, original motor/trans, never even replaced a WP or alternator and never touched the A/C or anything on the 4WD except that stupid electronic dash switch. That got replaced once.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Interesting engineering from 1995-2000. I worked for GM corporate at the time at the ACDelco division.
Being the most junior employee, I got all the "interesting" jobs no one else wanted to do..... like warranty.
(peeling paint, leaking side-post battery..... you name it and I did a Field Product Report on it)
I wrote a ton of it and was privy to whatever service fiascoes were going on, even in the vehicle lines.
In general GM had few truck mechanical issues. Most were easily and permanently rectified. About
10% stumped the chump at the dealer bay and required a "troubleshooter" from corporate to come in
and figure out the solution. (travelling Einstein technician, with or without GM engineer in tow)
An additional 10% were "Friday" vehicles that in all truth were absolute crap. (basically vehicles that
should have been crushed and the customer given a check) Maybe half of those were satisfactorily
repaired.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Eleven years ago I bought a '98 F150, regular cab, long wheelbase, 4.6 with vinyl bench and rubber floormats. It had 174K miles. I paid $2K. Since then I've put new tires on it, spark plugs, sway bar bushings, brake pads and a heater core (yowza!!). It now has 195K miles. Best $2K I ever spent. Two kinds of people those who own trucks and those who borrow.....

My daughter named it Oscar.

Oscar is very popular in the family.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Wow, that's less than 2K miles per year. Must just be for trash and home depot trips? I put way more than that on the mustang just from weekend cruising.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts