Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Cast Alloy, etc...

Not very familiar with the Crown Vic suspension, but depending on what materials and manufacturing processes are used to make the parts, they may not be candidates for cutting and welding if you want to maintain the original design properties.

cast alloy really? and??

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I am not participating in the argument, just extrapolating my take on the intent of the comment regarding Mr. Carpunk's screen name. So for discussions sake, I will be the Judge, somewhat like the hack in the Zimmerman trial.

evidence posted on this page.
1. aluminum alloy front subframe featured in photo
2. a post by Mr. Carpunk without capitalizing letters, proper use of grammar, punctuation marks, and punctuation marks used correctly
3. post admits he didn't read the thread
4.another post questioning Fstbk statement regarding the subframe material

What has not been posted by any party, participating or not, was the type of alloy the subframe is made from. One may, or may not, assume the original crown victoria subframe is made from steel, iron, stainless steel, copper, brass, bronze, aluminum or doritos. The photo does add some information by eliminating certain possibilities. Let's remove some of the obvious ones. Ford is a business so I don't think they would use copper, brass or bronze. The photo shows a large item so it would weigh a lot if made from stainless, iron or steel. That leaves aluminum and doritos. We all love doritos. Who could spend hours removing such a complicated item without taking a bite. I couldn't. I don't see any bites in the subframe, so it must be made from aluminum or an alloy derivative thereof.

Two key points of fact that have not been stated, but, assumed to be known by all who frequent a car forum is the front of mustangs are made from steel, some galvanized, some not and that aluminum cannot be welded to steel.

So, the evidence is stacking up that Mr. Carpunk, if that is your real name, with 83 posts as of this post, is producing evidence on his own accord that he does not in fact have the knowledge to produce a thought provoking addition to this thread.

Fstbk eluded that the name fits the board member. The board members name in question is derived from two words, car and punk. A car is, well, self explanatory on forum such as this one. The word punk is not so clear. If one should ask several different people it is unlikely that the answers would match. So I offer definitions as written in a dictionary.

punk - definition of punk by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

1. Slang
a. A young person, especially a member of a rebellious counterculture group.
b. An inexperienced young man.
2. Music
a. Punk rock.
b. A punk rocker.
a. Slang A young man who is the sexual partner of an older man.
b. Archaic A prostitute.

The above copied for those too lazy to do a proper click or search. A common problem among this forum. The word has 3 general areas were it is commonly used. We will eliminate those definitions least likely termed in the response.

I highly doubt Mr. Carpunk is a prostitute or a sexual partner of an older man. If this were the case, I would question how Mr. Fstbk has first hand knowledge of this information.
Second, musical tastes have not been a part of this discussion. This is another unlikely definition in this case.
Thirdly, the only group known to associate with Mr. Carpunk are the people at VMF. Some may consider us all part of a counter culture group. If that were the case, it would be like one lumberjack calling another lumberjack a lumberjack. This may or may not be the true intent of the comment. There is no evidence to dispute it. Therefore it must remain as a possibility.

Lastly, the word punk meant as an inexperienced young man. I do not recall Mr. Carpunks age stated as part of this discussion. I have not investigated his profile nor the profile of Mr. Fstbk. There is no evidence to dispute this meaning as the intent of the comment. Therefore is must remain as a possibility.

I am awaiting any further evidence.

(Just a funny note and side comment, my kids and employees usually convulse when I put on the judge robe and do a rundown like this when they choose to stay out late, fail a requested task or drive on a low tire.)

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Thank you your Honor. I had to wait for the tears to subside so I could respond. If it pleases the court I would also submit that though you do see K-member conversions, they are a step backwards in handling as it adds another node to the camber that adds squirrelyness in full squat. Now add a turn to that. Because of this you will actually find some Fox guys going SLA. The beauty of the CV assembly is just that - it is an assembly. When employed in a similar track width system it's a fairly clean implementation. Once you get into 'hack and chop' on it it then you simply have to ask yourself if you are willing to perform the fabrication necessary to make it work while blazing new territory. I've seen plenty of partial MII type installations on 50's rides where they mount the A-arms to the existing frame, and that's about it. I wouldn't auto-cross it but it can still cruise the boulevard. The OP was interested in the CV assembly for simplicity. That horse is well dead and sufficiently beat.
:deadhorse:

BTW: There's some really good books out there on suspension design principles. Good thing for anyone's library. At the very least you can learn how to fine tune what you have in a sensible way.

This place keeps it civil. It's one of the things that sets it apart from some of the other furballs and flame fests out there. Have a good evening, Gentlemen.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am not participating in the argument, just extrapolating my take on the intent of the comment regarding Mr. Carpunk's screen name. So for discussions sake, I will be the Judge, somewhat like the hack in the Zimmerman trial.

evidence posted on this page.
1. aluminum alloy front subframe featured in photo
2. a post by Mr. Carpunk without capitalizing letters, proper use of grammar, punctuation marks, and punctuation marks used correctly
3. post admits he didn't read the thread
4.another post questioning Fstbk statement regarding the subframe material

What has not been posted by any party, participating or not, was the type of alloy the subframe is made from. One may, or may not, assume the original crown victoria subframe is made from steel, iron, stainless steel, copper, brass, bronze, aluminum or doritos. The photo does add some information by eliminating certain possibilities. Let's remove some of the obvious ones. Ford is a business so I don't think they would use copper, brass or bronze. The photo shows a large item so it would weigh a lot if made from stainless, iron or steel. That leaves aluminum and doritos. We all love doritos. Who could spend hours removing such a complicated item without taking a bite. I couldn't. I don't see any bites in the subframe, so it must be made from aluminum or an alloy derivative thereof.

Two key points of fact that have not been stated, but, assumed to be known by all who frequent a car forum is the front of mustangs are made from steel, some galvanized, some not and that aluminum cannot be welded to steel.

So, the evidence is stacking up that Mr. Carpunk, if that is your real name, with 83 posts as of this post, is producing evidence on his own accord that he does not in fact have the knowledge to produce a thought provoking addition to this thread.

Fstbk eluded that the name fits the board member. The board members name in question is derived from two words, car and punk. A car is, well, self explanatory on forum such as this one. The word punk is not so clear. If one should ask several different people it is unlikely that the answers would match. So I offer definitions as written in a dictionary.

punk - definition of punk by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

1. Slang
a. A young person, especially a member of a rebellious counterculture group.
b. An inexperienced young man.
2. Music
a. Punk rock.
b. A punk rocker.
a. Slang A young man who is the sexual partner of an older man.
b. Archaic A prostitute.

The above copied for those too lazy to do a proper click or search. A common problem among this forum. The word has 3 general areas were it is commonly used. We will eliminate those definitions least likely termed in the response.

I highly doubt Mr. Carpunk is a prostitute or a sexual partner of an older man. If this were the case, I would question how Mr. Fstbk has first hand knowledge of this information.
Second, musical tastes have not been a part of this discussion. This is another unlikely definition in this case.
Thirdly, the only group known to associate with Mr. Carpunk are the people at VMF. Some may consider us all part of a counter culture group. If that were the case, it would be like one lumberjack calling another lumberjack a lumberjack. This may or may not be the true intent of the comment. There is no evidence to dispute it. Therefore it must remain as a possibility.

Lastly, the word punk meant as an inexperienced young man. I do not recall Mr. Carpunks age stated as part of this discussion. I have not investigated his profile nor the profile of Mr. Fstbk. There is no evidence to dispute this meaning as the intent of the comment. Therefore is must remain as a possibility.

I am awaiting any further evidence.

(Just a funny note and side comment, my kids and employees usually convulse when I put on the judge robe and do a rundown like this when they choose to stay out late, fail a requested task or drive on a low tire.)
A superb summary of the aforementioned mindless ramblings by various posters not looking to enhance the positive direction of the conversation but rather to engage in a meaningless series of rants and raves in a meager attempt to insert ones narrow view of the subject matter at hand.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I had an 03 Marauder,(03 in my handle), from the day I got that car I wondered if I could plop the body off it and slide the frame under and early Mustang. Believe it or not,the flame rails are a near match for the inside of the rockers. I did'nt measure the wheel base but my WAG was about 14" out of the middle of the frame would be close. But what to do with the wheels hanging out past the fenders 4" on both sides? Napkin study over.
But a Galaxy.............
The track width is just too wide for a 65-70 Mustang.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I stand by my original post (below) but your comments ,,quote,,

(the evidence is stacking up that Mr. Carpunk, if that is your real name, with 83 posts as of this post, is producing evidence on his own accord that he does not in fact have the knowledge to produce a thought provoking addition to this thread.

simply back it up.. i do agree on my lazy english though even too lazy to let the p.c do it.

heres what i said and if any of it upsets somebody its a case of if the cap fits well then wear it! nothing is directed at anybody personaly yet here i am defending myself for politley asking why some loudmouth started making personal remarks

dont be discouraged the truth is some people dont like change and they dont like ,low posters,, having an opinion or suggesting something they havent suggested themselves its bs and a forum thing also lots of ,,experts,, putting out mis information basicly if they havent done it or are not capable of it or they simply dont know they wont say that but have to say something so they would rather rubbish any unconforming idea.

not everybody that knows there stuff and does this sort of thing uses forums infact ive found the most capable people tend to just get on with it and not spend every waking moment self promoting themselves you wont hear/see them online so maybe check out some local fabbing/car shops?

i never read this thread but had started a similar one which no doubt will cause some tantrums or maybe some usefull info will come out

personaly my view is why spend 1000s (if you got it spare) when 1000000,s go into development on cars that are sitting in the junkyard overlooked because its not a common swap or magazine feature but are just ripe for picking at a fraction of the cost plus easy replacement parts but im more of a traditional hot rodder in that way i like using better parts from ANY other brand

i love the idea but imo mustangs and maybe some of there owners are more retsorers /cars so they dont like any idea outside the box.then theres the devaluing issue i used to put big hp ,,dont belong,, motors in classic cars but when it was time to sell them people were mostly interested in lower hp traditional swaps so basicly the savings to gain hp and work were
not worth the drop in value / harder to sell factor i dont like it but sometimes its just better to shell out and go with the flow plus its easier tried and tested and accepted etc

its common knoledge you can make the factory set up work but thats not the point. if it all needs replacing anyway and you want upgrades theres stuff out there without resorting to throwing money at it.
but sadly maybe the cv front is just too much work? maybe an x member that fits our frames but takes cv parts? maybe its way too wide in the wishbone area?............keep searching!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't think anyone is torpedoing your idea because they fear change. I think it's that it would require welding the CV suspension to a point that would most likely fail and would also increase the track width about a half mile.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm just a shade-tree hack mechanic, but I don't know why anyone would trade a suspension that won three Trans Am championships in five years and has a boatload of aftermarket parts support for one out of a 4,000-lb luxury/fleet car. :shrug:

·
Registered
166 Posts
its not my idea but the guy was asking and im sure many others have wondered
as it is a common swap these days and a cheap good set up i wouldnt be suprised if the aftermarket caught on and made different x members to suit plus racks off the shelf that can work/be modified

by the way i think only certain years/specs had alloy x member the others were steel

now theres an opening for somebody!

everyone knows the std stuff can be made to work well and thats great! but if its all fubar needs replacing and even worse drum and 4 lug then utilizing a ready made good set up to get discs rack and possibly? a better set up than nearly 50 years ago has got to be a good thing hasnt it?

maybe theres lots of modern dare i say front wheel drive diesel jellymoulds that would also be competitive in those trans am races you mention? i dont like to hear it either but times move on its progress etc

maybe even better than buying (certainly less cost) a mustang 2 set up etc i guess the question is if you bought a regular 65/66 that was hacked off at the firewall (like one of mine) what front end would you build?

my biggest concerns are its not popular on mustangs right now so may kill the re sale and maybe the width between outer chassis rails and outer hub face is way to much???????
causing horrible wide track if i get chance il try to get those dimensions

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
in the interest of hot rodding i applaud what your are doing and hope for the highest success. There is no better form of hot roddding then fabrication and making something work that doesnt belong.

having said that ..i view this along the lines of a late model modular 4.6 swap...its a whole ton of work for a motor that doesnt make any more power over a junkyard explorer 302. If you were gonna go through all this trouble id think it something from a better platform...something that would be a real upgrade in performance over simple bolt ons that a stock suspension could achieve..but u will have bragging rights and im sure it will be great

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
in the interest of hot rodding i applaud what your are doing and hope for the highest success. There is no better form of hot roddding then fabrication and making something work that doesnt belong.

having said that ..i view this along the lines of a late model modular 4.6 swap...its a whole ton of work for a motor that doesnt make any more power over a junkyard explorer 302. If you were gonna go through all this trouble id think it something from a better platform...something that would be a real upgrade in performance over simple bolt ons that a stock suspension could achieve..but u will have bragging rights and im sure it will be great

·
Registered
166 Posts

i would agree with that allthough im not interested in bragging rights myself its just nice to make something work well and save some money in the process. dare i say the front end from a 5 lug supra or may be a better bet overall im sure theres others but for me due to re sale and general opinions wether theyre right or wrong il be going with an ,,accepted,, front end upgrade. good luck to the original poster as it wouldnt surprise me when this same question comes up in a few years to hear all the ,,experts,, now telling you to ,,go with a cv front end kit from whatever co jumps on the bandwagon and makes it feasable

·
Registered
2 Posts
Once again. Thanks for your opinions. Having driven many police interceptor CV's, I can say they handle quite well at speed exceeding 140 mph.

Here are the brass tacks of it. My 66 has worn out drum brakes, worn out power steering, worn out suspension parts and it's 4 lug, not 5.

I plan to upgrade all of this at signifigant cost. If this swap will work it will handle all of the major upgrades in one chunk. At considerably less cost.Will it be a perfect scenario? I have no idea, that is why I asked the question.

Like many ideas that I have I guess, this is one more that I will have to just do. Give it a go and see.
Just got on here. I know this is old, but was wondering what happened to this project... ever get it done?

The reason I found it is I am about to cut the bottom out of a 66 falcon coupe and sit it ont top of a 07 CV interceptor frame.
The dimension difference is 3" on the length and width. Gonna use the torch and welder to reconcile the differences... and a little metal massaging of the falcon sheet metal.

The build is focused on full 1/4 mile use and no thought about being street legal.

The motor is a 74 bronco 302. I haven't considered the tranny yet, but a 2 speed with a brake would be interesting....

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Im well familair with this swap in F100s. No way this will work in a Mustang unless you spend a ton of money. Way more money than any of the current suspension systems cost.

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
Just got on here. I know this is old, but was wondering what happened to this project... ever get it done?
He hasn't been here in some seven years, so who knows?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts