Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post here.

I'm in the very early stages of building a 69' Fastback, and I want to iron out a few details before it heads to the chassis shop. Just to let y'all know what I'm building... It's a 69' fastback with a Coyote block beefed up to 12.5:1 compression, GT350 heads and Transmission, Cobra jet intake. (Cams - undecided)

The guy thats building the front end usually uses Mustang 2 spindles with tubular control arms, but I've recently been looking into Crown Vic spindles for two reasons. They're beefier, and theres an adapter to mount GT350 brakes on them. The latter is more of a priority to me, I reallllly want to run the full GT350 brake setup on the car.

Has anyone run these spindles before?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Brandon, If I may ask, why the Coyote ? you caneasliy make lots of power with a pushrod engine. LSG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car as a shell. And my buddy basically had all the ground work for the motor swap cheap. So that was that.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It depends, I assume you want this car to handle as well as it goes, does this guy have the suspension geometry knowledge to design from scratch ?

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,727 Posts
Yes, he’s a very proficient chassis builder. He builds entire race car chassis from scratch.
Not trying to sound smart, but sounds like this race car chassis builder is the one that would help answer this. I do look forward to what you end up with though...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He says it can 100% be done. I was just trying to find someone that’s done a swap if they were out there.

I know a lot of the f100 truck guys run the entire front suspension.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Brandon, I wouldn't use either, but it depends largely on the purpose of the car. If it is only to look cool and go fast in a straight line, you can use the M2 stuff. But if you want a good handling car, the M2 gear is not the way to go. The problem is the M2 gear was designed to be cheap to manufacture, the geometry doesn't transfer well to the early cars. Many folks also convert the car from rear to front steering, and this also causes its own host of problems. yes, it can be done, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea or that it SHOULD be done.

I am usually opposed to Coyote swaps for two reasons, you have to butcher the car to make it fit, usually, you end up with weaker structure than you had before, and I don't care for the Coyote in general. Any of the other Ford V8s, with fuel injection and computer control, can make just as much power. The advantage of a pushrod engine, I believe, is that you get your power at a lower rpm, and it is alot more fun to drive than engine making lots of power, but you have to rev high to get there.

If you need more room in the engine compartment, I'd look first at what our man Dennis did to his car, he put 67 towers in a 66 car, THEN he notched them for even more room. You can also look at repop Boss 9 towers from Kevin Manley. Lastly, if I were spindle shopping and didn't already have them, I'd be looking for 1970 drum brake spindles. These, with some careful choice, are strong enough and give you the T/A brake options with the big disks. CSRP and Maier also make spindles, and might be a better choice than trying to use a part from another car that doesn't really want to be there.

Does your car already have the spring towers out ? If so, I'd be looking at Kevin Manley's Boss 9 stuff. If they're still there, section them. Its your car, so you choose, and you live with the results. Want to see a thread on failed M2 conversions ?

Is your buddy building road racers or drag srtip cars ? Yeah, the F100 guys have used the CrownVic stuff, but the F100 is wider than our cars, also a bad transfer of geometry.

LSG

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I don't think F100 trucks are generally in the same league as a "sports car" build. With a high-end build like yours, it seems a bit silly to base your entire front suspension around the brakes !? It should be the other way around, there's plenty of big rotor & caliper packages out there that are at least as good as the GT350 stuff. Unless you're just looking for bragging rights about how many GT parts you can work in to the build. (which is fine if that's your goal)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were planning on using Speedway control arms in addition to whatever spindle. Not the old OE stuff.

would you recommend a corvette spindle then?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
We were planning on using Speedway control arms in addition to whatever spindle. Not the old OE stuff.

would you recommend a corvette spindle then?
I don't know, there's many options if you're doing a complete custom front suspension, but the whole package has to be designed together, starting with the wheel/tire package. Then figure out steering, track width, ride height, Roll Center Height, spindle geometry ( KPI, pin height, ball joint heights, steering arm, ackerman, etc. ), which will determine control arm lengths and angles. I've never done a clean-sheet design, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
@Hughes.brandon - first off, welcome to the VMF. You will find a tremendous amount of information here and the folks here are generally good, solid and patient folks. You'll get good info on cornercarvers too but they like to flame folks for asking questions.

You will also find a broad disgust for the Mustang II suspension, as you're seeing in this thread. With good reason, I might add...as has been pointed out, the MII stuff just isn't great for performance regardless of whether you upgrade the spindles or control arms. Folks far brighter than me have pointed out the lack of performance-oriented engineering in the geometries.

I recommend you retain the basic layout (as it's actually pretty decent) and upgrade the control arms and strut rods, spring mounts, shocks and springs. Do the upper arm drop / relocate. Brace the shock towers. Install a good Monte Carlo bar, subframe connectors. Upgrade the rear leafs or install a multi-point (3, 4) design with a panhard bar or Watts link. There are several good vendors on the forum - I've used parts from @Shaun (StreetOrTrack) Global West, Opentracker Racing, Fays2, TCP, Miere Racing, MustangsToFear and MustangSteve and others. While I don't have any seat time, I have (tried to at least) carefully sort out what I wanted to use and bought good parts.

You will find a general reluctance to chop out the shock towers as the general opinion is that they lend significant strength to the front end. You'll probably find more folks that would tolerate installing an LS1 and T56 from a Camaro than you will cutting shock towers. :)

PM me if you'd like. I'm working on a long term '69 coupe resto-mod.

Cheers,
Nate

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
You know there are some merits for an LSX with a dizzy and carb running conversion "ford" valve covers :D ONLY because headers fit better than a 434W with Head Hunter heads between the SHOCK towers.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I think I logged onto the wrong site.

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
Oh I'm all about some LSx. @DCx had an awesome build going. :devilish:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I bleed Ford Blue, but love my Porsches and do own a turbo Coyote and even one LS. I think if one wanted to go high end build that required the removal of the shock towers I'd LOOK for a TALL SPINDLE. The Mustang II is just short and that is rarely good for anything other than packaging. Why not go C6 or true aftermarket spindle? TCP makes some really nice options. Cortex! woudn't lead you wrong. I love the art/craftsman ship of Roadster Shop clips. If max handling isn't required, maybe a later strut Mustang type conversion that easily upgrades to S550 or S197 brakes. Again struts aren't ideal as they don't offer the camber gain of a tall spindle unequal length A arm but cheaper to assemble and offer good packaging and therefore are used by SO many OEM's today. Last personal opinion, though Detroit Speed & Eng makes an awesome Camaro/Nova clip I don't think their Mustang or Vette clips offer equal value of performance to effort/cost trade offs compared to others.

Reactions: GypsyR
1 - 17 of 17 Posts