Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the brake lines sorted on the 65 meant getting the rear most line on the bottom of the distribution block loose. The regular flare wrench was unable to assist as there's not enough room for the tool there. So I bought the crow's foot flare wrench set from Northern. Verified rotation direction, got it placed and got mad at it. All rewarded with a nice 'pop' and a free moving flare nut that probably has not moved in 54 years. The direction of rotation was actually clockwise to loosen as the flare nut was inserted in the bottom of the block. Just thought I'd share. Well worth the $20. And it's stupid tight in that corner of the engine well.

·
Registered
20,061 Posts
Good deal. I was replacing all the brake lines on my wife's 69. I actually had to cut all the lines to the block, remove it from the car which entailed taking the hood off by myself. I had to put the block in a vise

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was really trying to avoid that. Pleasantly surprised it worked at all.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Good to know. I've had pretty good luck using PB Blaster followed by heating with a Propane torch. Then a good flare nut wrench to remove them.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
If this thread gives someone an urge to buy some of these wrenches, pass on the expensive Snap-On versions. Their decidedly expensive tools tend to fit and work very well but for some reason those are the exception. IE, I own them and they suck. I have a couple of Cornwell branded ones that work great though. For some reason the Snap-Ons just don't fit snugly enough. You wouldn't think that.
My crowsfoot versions probably are the same as what Hemikiller bought. They were surely the same price. Mine are so off-brand they don't even have a country of origin stamped in them. I don't care, they work great and have for over ten years.
Restating as above, get ONLY the six point versions. All we need these for is to break something loose or do the final tightening. The twelve point ones are NOT good for that. They are used by people who do hydraulic lines on bulldozers and things who need to use the wrenches to turn their fittings all the way out in tighter quarters than we deal with in old cars.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Crowsfoot wrenches are an under appreciated tool in the box. I’ve got Snap On versions of both flare and open end and they work great. With a specialty ratchet, flex head or swivel handle, a wobble extension and you can get to some things without taking other things out of the way. They also make a 12 point torque extender which I have a few and those are handy for more than using a torque wrench in tight places.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I recently bought a set of 3/8" drive SAE crow's foot flare wrenches. The P/S fittings on the box are pretty deep in the engine compartment and they made short work of it with a long ratchet and an 18" extension. $19 well spent.

I also had to get to the P/S lines on the steering box of my 71 which are a headache since they are under the master cylinder towards the back. I found the long extension as well as a 12 point crows foot worked really nice. With the 12 point, I didnt have to rotate the socket as much to reset it since the space is so tight down there.

I got the ones I needed here:

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
Of course what you really want is a complete set of six point ones AND twelve point ones. And then the metrics too. Because....tools.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts