Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I need some advice on my frame rails. I bought this 66 about a half a year ago and the previous owner seemed to like to go off-roading in it as the frame rails on the front are a bit crushed in on the bottom. I am installing frame connectors and need them to be flat so I can secure them to the frame rail. What would you recommend to do to “square up” the frames?
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add to my question,
The frame rails on the front aren’t that badly crushed in, they just are not perfectly flat. The car is in awesome shape just some slightly crushed in frames. Any advice would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have the same problem and haven’tt fixed mine yet. .

Some cut off a portion of the frame rails, straighten them, and weld them back on.

Others cut back the floor to get to the inside of the frame rail and them weld the floor back up

Other drill out the spot spot welds to completely remove the frame rail extensions and then repair or replace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eitelbj
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I think I solved the problem. I am going to weld some angle iron on the frame rails to make it square as well as add some strength. I think it will work good as long as I can get the angle iron welded on properly and securely.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Using a bottle jack etc... are common reasons for those depressions.

Mine had those indents, and I'm the one who put them there. But it was 1983 and I was young and dumb. Now just older and less dumb ;)

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Hello All,
I need some advice on my frame rails. I bought this 66 about a half a year ago and the previous owner seemed to like to go off-roading in it as the frame rails on the front are a bit crushed in on the bottom.
Thanks
Did it happen to have 'Mulestang' or Gambler decals on it?? >:)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Most likely the OP is talking about the floor supports. Quite a few of us used those as jacking points over the years and lived to regret it. Mine are the same way - looks like I've been off roading a few times. One of these days I'll have to get them repaired/replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I was talking about the floor supports. They aren’t that bad, just allowing for a bad Purchase area for frame connectors. Got it figured out by welding a peice of angle across it to strengthen and square it up. And hold the frame connectors. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine are dented up too, but they are straight. I didn't worry about it. I did weld in Global West tubular subframe connectors. They make excellent jack points themselves especially toward the center where I can lift the whole side of the car up with my super high speed racing floor jack (aluminum no less) from Harbor Freight. If you are worried about the dents then take thicker flat sheet metal (1/8 to 3/16), cut to shape and weld that in to hide the dents. Oh dents add character!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts