Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just installed CSRP’s brake booster and master cylinder in my ‘66 coupe and am having a problem in that the brake lights no longer function. I’ve found several posts that talk to the issue and people have either installed a shim or elongated the hole in the booster-to-brake pedal to resolve it. I’m just wondering if anyone has found a better solution to the problem.
The issue apparently is that the flat end of the booster rod is a few thousands short.

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
I believe that I recall reading in some of those threads that there was a brake light switch with a "softer" spring that some have swapped to. Maybe it was the switch for the Mustangs that came from the factory with power brakes. Also, I recall that some guys have used JB Weld to glue a shim to the metal plate in the switch that the flat end on the pushrod pushes against.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found listings for non-power brake ‘66 mustang switches but no power brake listings at NPD. I’m going to try the ‘67 switch for power brakes, I guessing that’s the “softer” spring switch. Should that fail I’ll try the JB Weld trick.
Thanks awhtx!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: The new brake light switch for a ‘67 made no difference, the tail light still didn’t light up when pressing the brake pedal.
I found a piece of thin metal (picture hanging hardware) and was able to insert that between the booster pushrod and the brake light switch and it now operates as it should.
47C9A8BB-3725-4208-8ADD-CC7DDFF0851C.jpeg
ECD69B03-3D7F-484C-B83B-A8A139000BC0.jpeg

Reactions: awhtx
1 - 4 of 4 Posts