Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys im looking to change out my front drum brakes to disc using a kit from CSRP and i had a few questions

One piston calipers VS four piston??
I heard one piston floats better but does the four then have better stopping power?

How hard are the brake lines to adapt?

Any reason not to go CSRP??

·
Registered
33,972 Posts
Use the kit for your year, i.e., 4-piston for 65-67, single for 68-73. Makes future maintenance easier.

The single piston caliper floats, the 4-piston is fixed, so you'd have to say the single floats 'better'. :) The four-piston may have more surface area, I never looked it up.

Brake lines are a snap if you can double-flare. If not, a little clever planning is required.

Glazier Nolan uses the CSRP kits, they like them because of quality and completeness. A few small items for connecting the master cylinder to your existing brake divider are all you might require. They can help you with that.

·
Registered
337 Posts
+1 Put the csrp kit on my stang, very complete and good instructions. If you have any problems support is also very good. If you have more questions do a search for posts by "degins" he's csrp and has been a great help to many on these forums. Good luck!

·
Registered
346 Posts
subscribing to this thread. I am looking to do the disc brake swap. Would also like to know the best way or place to get the brake lines adapted.

·
Registered
346 Posts
how can you tell if u have manual or power drums?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
+1 CSRP - Best customer service I've seen in a long while. Able to get a hold of in person. Responds quickly to emails. Instructions are good. Highly recommended. Bought some Granada parts off him. Plan on using him again when time to upgrade my 66

·
Registered
156 Posts
I also recommend CSRP. Great instructions, great support if you need it and great product.

As far as adapting the brake lines, depending on your set up it may not be as hard as it sounds. The kit worked with my stock brakes lines up to the master cylinder. The only lines I had to adapt were from the distribution block to the master cylinder. I just cut up a metal coat hanger and used that as my template. I shaped and test fitted it then just bought a piece of brake line with flares and fittings already on it from Advance Auto. They have a bunch of different lengths and sizes. Picked up a cheap little tube bender and bent my own line using the coat hanger template.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
+1 CSRP - Best customer service I've seen in a long while. Able to get a hold of in person. Responds quickly to emails. Instructions are good. Highly recommended. Bought some Granada parts off him. Plan on using him again when time to upgrade my 66
+2 on CSRP. I sent an email to Dennis several months back at about 11:30 (PM!). He responded within 15 minutes! I also called to place an order this past Friday and spoke with him directly. Ironically enough, my parts were waiting for me today when I got home.....and they're VERY nice!!!

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I've never seen a more complete kit and you have a dumb question as I have Dennis will answer them with no problem.The man answered his phone when he was on vacation with his mom and answered mine.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
CSRP

I am very pleased with the kit. I picked mine up locally in austin about a month or so back.

I have the kit all installed with the exception of my lines - which is this weekend's project. I have fabricated lines before so I am not too concerned about the project. Here are a couple of photos of the brakes in progress on my car.

Kit was complete - instructions were good (with the exception of the brake line/proportioning valve/distribution block portion). I figured it out, but a simple diagram would have saved me some time.

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
And another vote for CSRP as a 5 star product with great service, quality and price!

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you do have to fabricate lines, which I had to for my Mach 1, I would recommend using an hydraulic flaring tool. I purchased a Mastercool MSC71475 Universal Hydraulic Flaring Tool Set. It worked like a charm.

Old and even new steel lines are not very soft and are hard to hand flare. These hydraulic flaring tools are a must have.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
discbrakeswap.com

Chockostang (think that is spelled) also has excellent stuff. Google him.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts