The Coast Guard, calling the truck a ''hazard to navigation,'' sank it
.... sank it "like a rock"....

·
Registered
466 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
If I drove a vintage chevy truck, it would be that body. Luckily I dont.

Its going to be weird in 10 years to watch the discover channel do its underwater exploration and see a '51 chevy truck on the ocean floor!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hey I am cuban and they can use to get out the country they should go for it. I have family that came here on make shift rafts to start a new and productive lives in the US.

At least they used a Chevy since I think that's what they are only good for!!!

David

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
You guys are all wrong...this is just a test drive for the new cuban TV series. "El Garaje del Monstruo" (Monster Garage)...the poor guys are just out to fabricate some fun, and the damn Coast Guard hauls off and sinks them! ;)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Sorry, but I gotta say I was pretty impressed, Chevy or not. To have been able to keep that thing running reliably enough that it was making 8 knots in the open ocean after better than 50 years of use, without any local NPD outlet to help with parts, took some mechanical aptitude. And their reward? Their family vehicle was sunk, and they were sent back to Cuba. Chebby or not, my hat is off to them.

Carl

·
Registered
208 Posts
I didn't know they got JunkYard Wars in Cuba. ::
I think it does show a lot of inginuety(sp?) If they try again and make it I'm sure they will bring a lot to the American table.

Stan

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
I live in Miami and have for over half my life. Cuban Americans are ballsy folks, work hard and make things happen. I was frankly P!ssed Off to see the Coast Guard sink it. Threat my a$$! Talk to a Cuban American and they will share some incredible feats that they've done to keep American cars running. The last ones imported were in 1959. There is an auto club in Havana-saw an hour long on it. They put Monster Garage to shame. There was a shop making stainless mouldings for a rare 58 Caddy. Many cars have Russian components. A good friend here came to the US when he was 8 and has built up a very big AC co. He has a 64'5 cv, a 67 GT350, 47 Ford truck, 94 Cobra, and a couple others. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts