Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has seen or knows of any company offering new hood tachs....I know originals are the holy grail of options

I don't care whether or not it would be a very close reporduction, I'm just interested in a "doorstop" shaped hood tach that is reasonably accurate.

Seems like making one close to what the factories made would be a great business idea!!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Since you don't car about originality, you might consider the hood-mounted tach from a pontiac firebird transam, late 80s I think it is, The exterior shape is not that all different from the Ford shape. The ford hood tach also was used on certain Torinos and also on Cougar, I believe, in 68 and 69. Not sure on the cougar reference. AT one time several years back, I saw hood tachs advertised (Ford ones) for $150. Have you checked with JD Larson or Bob Perkins (or Perogies)? they have a good selection of NOS and other hard to find stang parts.

good luck!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
A cool idea but there is a reason it was rare:

A friend of mine has one on his Trans Am, and every morning the tach gets all fogged up and sometimes it won't defog until late in the evening when the backlighting is so horrible on it anyway that its hard to see... It is cool looking on the exterior and, of course, when you can read it from the driver seat.

G

·
0 Posts
If you dont mind what brand it comes from,year one makes the hood tach for the 68/69
GTOs ,ive got one on my 69 judge and its a cool deal
like someone else had said they tend to fog up and are sort of hard to see at nite
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts