Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1965, Mustang Auto V8 Coupe
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping you all can help me. I'm seeing all kinds of wood steering wheels available (both wood and plastic/simulated). And, for each I see varying reviews.

What I'm looking for is the best woodgrain (either real wood or simulated) steering wheel to match the original look as best as possible.

Here's what I'm currently looking at (from NPD); but, given its cost, I'm hesitant to move on it. What have you all put in your 65/66's and what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
871 Posts
What I'm looking for is the best woodgrain (either real wood or simulated) steering wheel to match the original look as best as possible.
...but, from above, I also think that you're factoring in price if I have that right. Is fit and crack resistance a factor?

Reactions: austeel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...but, from above, I also think that you're factoring in price if I have that right. Is fit and crack resistance a factor?
I don't mind spending on a premium price. I just want to make sure it's worth it, you know? As for crack resistance, that's definitely a concern (kind of goes with price, too).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
@69bossnine - I would love to hear your thoughts on the '67 Shelby wheel. I recognize it's not 100% original style and the OP may not be interested, but it appears to be another great option in the same price range and it offers a full solid wood construction, if I'm not mistaken?

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe, 289 4V, A-Code
17 Posts
The NPD product is a complete kit - the other one isn't so its an apples to orange comparison.. Preference/choice will be driven by what you need. I probably would get the Dynacorn if I only need the wheel . . .

·
Registered
36,682 Posts

·
Vendor
4,221 Posts
@69bossnine - I would love to hear your thoughts on the '67 Shelby wheel. I recognize it's not 100% original style and the OP may not be interested, but it appears to be another great option in the same price range and it offers a full solid wood construction, if I'm not mistaken?
What can I say, they're pretty darned beautiful, and sell like hotcakes! Not an original deal, but a close copy, and real wood.

To the OP, if you're really prioritizing the "original-look", then the Dynacorn wheel is the closest. There's no point in considering real-wood options if you're trying to look original, because Ford always used plastic made to look like wood. Shelby on the other hand...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That wheel is intended for purchase by people who have trashed original wheels and can transfer all the parts. Pretty sure if you buy that one, you end up paying more than the cost of the NPD listing to get all the associated parts to finish it.
What can I say, they're pretty darned beautiful, and sell like hotcakes! Not an original deal, but a close copy, and real wood.

To the OP, if you're really prioritizing the "original-look", then the Dynacorn wheel is the closest. There's no point in considering real-wood options if you're trying to look original, because Ford always used plastic made to look like wood. Shelby on the other hand...
I guess I'm looking for it all LOL. I'd like a real-wood option that also looks like the original, simulated wheel. If that doesn't exist, then I'd settle for plastic/simulated.

It just feels like every time I find one option that looks good, I hear someone recommend a different one that I've never heard of. I just found today a GT Performance version that Summit sells that looks good, too.

I'm hoping those who have one in their car that they love can speak to it. I've learned a ton so far just in this thread, so totally appreciate all the help!

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
I have a Shelby knock off steering wheel in my 1965 fastback. It's very similar to the one I linked below from CJPP and I've enjoyed having it in my car for over the 10+ years or so that I've had it. Plus it's a pretty decent quality item for the price and is about $150 less than the one you're looking at.

·
Premium Member
6,972 Posts
Mmmm...plaaaaaastic....
20210120_144210.jpg

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
982 Posts
I think I can answer that one...pretty darn sure its emberglo :)

Chris

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
6,972 Posts
Looks awesome! Off-topic: is your exterior Vint Burgundy with Parchment interior?
That's the car I bought for my older son...Emberglo and converted to Emberglo with Parchment Deluxe Interior.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for all your input! I think I'm gonna go forward with the NPD wheel. Looks like it's the most authentic (simulated wood grain matches well, 18 rivets, etc.). This was my first thread here, hoping for some help, and holy smokes did I get it!

Great community, and can't wait to dive in!

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
127 Posts
I'm like to add a +1 on the GT Performance wheel- It has a lot of the styling features of the deluxe wheels but they have real wood and the wood was beautiful- I have always thought the fake wood on the originals looked cheap and tacky.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I'm like to add a +1 on the GT Performance wheel- It has a lot of the styling features of the deluxe wheels but they have real wood and the wood was beautiful- I have always thought the fake wood on the originals looked cheap and tacky.
They look awesome in real wood. Dallas Mustang did mine 30 years ago for dirt cheap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts