Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on our 68 6 cyl automatic, when i remove the positive battery terminal from the battery and i put a test light from ground to the other side (or starter side) of the solenoid i get a momentary light then no light at all. is this normal? whos harboring these little guys?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
weclome aboard VMF.
its not a prob. whats happening is the SR has a coil inside as well as the starter windings so its just discharging a mementary charge when you hook up your light.

you may want to check your starter ground but its not an issue imo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the welcome and thanks for the answer!
we search and read a lot, seldom post.
still learning...

heres a little background: had the car apart for restoration and are now starting to put it back together - 4 or 5 years later. the wiring has not been kind to put it nicely, but we're getting there. new battery with clean and secure connections. with the starter switch in the on position, we are getting power to the s side of the coil. turning the key further to the start position, we get no power to the s side of the started solenoid. we are assuming the neutral safety and back up lamp switch are one in the same in that there is only one switch mounted to the drivers side of the transmission, 2 red wires with black tracers, and 2 black wires with red tracers (correct or not??) with the shift selector in park we still are not getting power to the starter solenoid s terminal. also when we shift into reverse we have no back up lights? is this related or a horse of a different color?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts