Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the absolute best setup for an aftermarket a/c ? Being that the car Didnnt have a/c originally (a 66) ,would i have to cut anything out of my dash???? What do i have to do??I did a search, but not the greatest results. I dont want to destroy the car installing the thing either. I was told by another memeber here the aftermarket a/c systems are all over the stock ones.How difficult is the system to install?? Who makes the best kit i can buy with all the peices right there ready for install excluding the freon? Another question, is there anyway ,or anyone i could buy the kit for R-16 ,the old style freon withough getting a 40 yr old stock style system??I want a new pump new everything. Post up guys. :) Jake :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Your hand out the window and the corners wide open ::

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bwahahaha!!!!! ........ NOT !!! :: How bout an INSIDE FAN j/k :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
You said post like crazy. Just thought i would get it started. ::

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So do you have any knowledge or understanding of a/c systems??? Do you have anything intelligent to add??

·
Registered
188 Posts
The magizene "mustang and fords" had a nice aftermaket set up at one time but i remember it was around 1300 for it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the name of the system??? Who makes it??? What are the bennifits of an aftermarket a/c opposed to a stock system??Do i have to do any cutting??? I dont own any "magazines" just the car in my thread. :)

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Look up Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air. Both make "bolt-in" systems for Mustangs. Believe both run about $1000. The benefit to an after market over original is newer parts/tecnology. There should only be minor mods, if any, to add the system. Not sure if a new firewall penetration for the lines is required, but think so. Beleive there are cutout locations stamped in the firewall.

The newer system probably aren't avaialble with the older R-12 refrirgerant, but not sure. You do lose some prerformance with the newer refrigerants over stock, so a refurbished R-12 stock system may cool more than a new system, but I have not seen performance specs on cooling capacity for either. Have heard that the older stock compressors rob more power than new models. HTH.

·
Registered
966 Posts
New systems are available that will run the older R-12 freon. My car came with factory A/C, but the compressor is shot. I purchased a kit from Classic Auto Air called a Sanden Conversion Kit. It comes with a brand new rotary-style Sanden compressor using the older R-12, plus new hoses, adapter brackets, and drier. CAA makes kits to put A/C into cars that didn't have it to begin with, and I'm sure the R-12 system is available for them as well. For your model car, you can get a system that looks like an original setup inside, meaning you will get the A/C controls and vents that sit under the dash and above the tranny hump (little/no dash hacking required). They may sell a kit that has different vent ducting, but I'm not sure for your model. The folks at CAA are great to work with. You can call to get a catalog, but they will also answer any questions you might have while you have them on the line.

I also checked with an outfit out of Fort Worth (not sure if it was Vintage Air or Old Air Products), and while they had the parts to do my conversion, they did not have it all kitted together, and some things, like the hoses, had to be custom made based on my specs. I chose to go with CAA for the convenience and the good rap given by folks here at VMF. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have a Vintage Air system. Installed it in '99 or 2000. It's a R134 system and blows cold air. It mounted easily and uses dash registers for a stock look. I bought a used dash register and modified the Vintage Air ducts to work with it.

Doug Boyd

·
7,171 Posts
I have no personal knowledge YET...but I have heard great things about Classic Auto Air's Perfect Fit system. It goes in the spot currently occupied by your car's heater box under the dash. It has two small vents that mount under the dash and also provides cooled, dehumidified air, for the defroster. It is controlled by the stock heater controls. It is available for either R12 or R134. You can buy them direct from the manufacturer or through various parts suppliers (like National Parts Depot).

Here is the manufacturer's homepage.

I'm planning on putting one in my car this winter.

Obviously...I must have run out of USEFUL projects :p :p :p

Phil

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
High marks for the Classic Auto Air "Perfect Fit" system. Available in both R12 and 134A; replaces your factory heater box completely; and operates from your factory heater controls. It has several distinct advantages over the Vintage Air counterpart too. Runs about $1100.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,715 Posts
Classic Auto Air has refurbished original under dash units for your car as well as "Perfect Fit" aftermarket units that are similar but look different. Either one can be had with R12 or 134a, your choice. I just ordered a refurbished system with the Sanden compressor conversion for my 67 to replace the non-functioning in-dash system that came with the car. I'll report back once it arrives and I get it installed and charged.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I'll have to add a comment in favor of the Classic auto air guys from Florida. I rebuilt Ron's 67 Fastback back 6 months ago. He had the classic kit installed.
The kit was very clean. A minor adjustment to the pulley alignment but over all it was very clean and tidy.
AFA temperture...you could practically hang meat inside the car on a 90 degree Florida day.
I'll be grabbing one for the wife's vert here in about a month!! Last price I heard was $1099.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Another myth exposed! it is commonly believed that 134a does not cool as well as the older R12. I've been doing my own a/c repairs for over 10 years and I have had both R12 and 134a in my Ranger and I can tell you without a doubt that 134a blows ice cold! If there's any difference in temperature it can't be more than a couple degrees but in my case I'd say it blows just as cold, if not colder than R12. I believe the idea got started when everyone was converting to 134a after R12 production was banned. They were doing it in their driveways without proper tools or knowledge, and in a lot of cases were simply adding it to a leaking R12 system because they couldn't buy R12 anymore and didn't want to pay to have their a/c properly repaired and converted. If you don't properly flush the system and pull a good vacuum before adding the 134a the system will not operate at peak efficiency but that is true no matter which refrigerant you use. The main difference is 134a runs at a higher pressure than R12 so if you're converting an older system you must make sure the hoses and evaporator are in excellant condition or the higher pressure after conversion will exaggerate any leaks. Another factor to keep in mind is that R12 has been out of production for 10 years and it is getting very expensive. You can't buy it unless you're EPA certified so you have to go to a shop to have a tech charge your system which means on top of paying about $100 more for the freon (over 134a prices) you have to pay labor fees at the shop. 134a can be bought at any parts store for around $5 a can.

·
Registered
966 Posts
This is O/T, but where did you catch the Dragon and Its Tail? Was there a fly-in? I've only seen the CAF's "B-24", and I'd sure like to see that one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks alot guys, very good tech on here.Ill go with the Classic auto air one, that sounds good :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check out http://www.vintageair.com/

ALso, unless you are making new molecules you might want to go with R12 but unless you have a thing for throwing $$ down a hole better stick to new R134. I have heard that the CCA (corvettes) was going to allow R134 on all show cars this summer and MCA was going to follow suit. We will see. Also, best bet is a sanden compressor vice new old stock, seconf choice would be an aluminum unit from york.

Most of the new retrofit units include a complete new airbox so you would likely get better heating and airflow as a side benefit.

Just some thoughts...

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The original hangdown for the 65-6 was/is great. When new that 66 hangdown blew way more cold air than the 67 indash. I had both new and there was no comparison. A 65 cv that I sold had the hangdown and blew cold. Was a bit miffed when pulling the 5.0 and installing a 289 for resale. A different company charged the system after completion and it blew too cold for words! with 134!! I drove the car for over 3 years and it was good. but the next guy got the car with AC that would BLOW TOO COLD on high! In Fl on a hot summer day! Make sure you go to a competent person for recharge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts