Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had used their radios / speaker set ups. I am really wanting to know if anyone has used their "undercovers" (the subs that go under your front seats). Do they actually fit ok under there? I was also wondering about the "backseat drivers" (the subs/amp mounted on a panel that mounts behind your backseat in the trunk). Anyone have any preferences of one over the other? Does the backseat driver install ok or is it flimsy? Also, anyone reccomend the kick panel speakers? Thanks.
-Mark

heres a link. Mustang Speakers

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've heard their quality on the head units is not so great. With that being said I have the dual voice coil 60 watt dash speaker and it sounds great. It really balances out my 6X9's in the rear perfectly...:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought a front speaker and it sounded like..... poo.

And.... I may be wrong, but the backseat driver system (subs and amp) is no longer being produced. Its not listed on there website.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prettyn sure it is. it shows up on the bottom of the page in the link from my orginial post. Hmm.... we've got one that says good front speaker and one says bad front speaker.... Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The guy I purchased my '65 from had already purchased the USA-66 head unit and front kickpanel speakers (still in box). I haven't hooked up the head unit yet, but I did run some sound through the speakers, and they seemed okay (noticed the cones were paper, however- so if they don't hold up I'll be mounting some new speakers in them pretty quick).

·
Registered
212 Posts
(noticed the cones were paper, however- so if they don't hold up I'll be mounting some new speakers in them pretty quick).
Thats why I don't like the speakers, there bottom of the line quality. I take my car to my local drive in and crank the volume up so I can sit outside the mustang and relax with friends. The speakers blew after a few loud nights. I got some Memphis car audio speakers and replaced them Now the speakers I got, have very little base, but I got that for a reason. Ive got a 10" sub in the back.

IMHO just get the kick panels with the holes already in them and put your own speakers in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have had my Custom Autosound USA-6 headunit, the 10 cd changer, the dual voice coil front speaker, than their 6x9 dual voice coil speaker in the rear for a factory look (its sold as the dash speaker for a Nova). I love them. I have never had a problem with any of them, the sound is great, the fit is great, and I have 4 speaker stereo sound while only using the 2 factory speaker locations.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I really like the look of the USA66, but the general reviews and feedback from stuff from Custom Autosound that I see on various forums and from talking to people is that about 75% don't care for the quality or have issues, and about 25% like it and have good results.

·
Registered
362 Posts
IMHO just get the kick panels with the holes already in them and put your own speakers in.
I tried that also but not really a lot of room in those kick panels to mount any decent speakers in.

I also had the CAS stereo for about 5 years. Not the greatest but did the job.

RME

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I tried that also but not really a lot of room in those kick panels to mount any decent speakers in.

I also had the CAS stereo for about 5 years. Not the greatest but did the job.

RME
I heard that some people fab a ring shaped spacer (out of PVC or wood) to give you more room for kick panel speakers. Of course, going too far is going to be a problem if you have a manual car, so one would have to balance how big the spacer is....

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
If you're not going to "Wake-up" the neighbors... The USA-66 is just fine.. For listening and driving.

If you are going to "Wake-up" the neighbors, You're obviously not interested in a somewhat "Concourse" resto anyway... So you would probably order something out of a Crutchfield catalog..and resto-mod the setup..

Tony K.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I heard that some people fab a ring shaped spacer (out of PVC or wood) to give you more room for kick panel speakers. Of course, going too far is going to be a problem if you have a manual car, so one would have to balance how big the spacer is....
Yep went that route myself with a once inch spacer. I did not do any fabrication I actually bought it a nice PVC ring that added about an inch. It gave me with the kickpanel maybe and 1 1/2 to an 1 3/4. I am a big guy though with big feet and it kind of got in the way of my feet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you're not going to "Wake-up" the neighbors... The USA-66 is just fine.. For listening and driving.

If you are going to "Wake-up" the neighbors, You're obviously not interested in a somewhat "Concourse" resto anyway... So you would probably order something out of a Crutchfield catalog..and resto-mod the setup..

Tony K.
I could wake up the neighborhood even with the CAS stereo as I had it hooked up to an amp. The preouts seemed to just have unwanted noise (cheap materials maybe)? I finally went with a Kenwood EZ500 (?) and he signal seemed much cleaner and the stereo seemed to be put together much better. Of course the Kenwood has too many buttons and it took me awhile to figure out how to work the newfangled stereo. My CAS was a much older model (10 years or more ago). Not sure what the current quality is like and unlikely to ever find out again.

RME

·
Registered
435 Posts
Dang, it's just too bad that no one is making a quality radio that looks like OEM. I absolutely love the look of the USA-66 but just can't get over the fact that they seem to have a lot of issues.

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
I was thinking about this thread today, when I went for a short drive in a freshly restored 66 with a USA-66 radio. It's an old one, originally shipped as a showroom demonstration radio, so it's been used quite a bit. Connected to a dash-mounted 4x10 dual voice coil speaker. No match for the JBL in my daily driver, but it sounded just fine, much better than the original AM/FM it resembles.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I really want that USA66, but after talking to people at various shows not to mention on the forums, I just don't think I can justify buying one.

I don't really care about subs and all that stuff. I prefer just my amp and 6x9s with the little front dual speaker. I just don't want a radio that doesn't last long or has weak reception.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't really care about subs and all that stuff. I prefer just my amp and 6x9s with the little front dual speaker. I just don't want a radio that doesn't last long or has weak reception.
Mine lasted well over 10 years.
Radio reception was no a problem

I echo what 22gt said

RME

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
I've got their "secret audio" setup with the 10-CD changer
and RF remote control in the wife's '68 coupe.
As others have said, you'll either have problems or not.
Sound quality is fine with their speakers although it's
not a setup that's gonna win a competition for noise.
The remote is good up to about 10 feet.
I mounted the CD changer in the trunk, hanging it, isolated
by four low durometer rubber "feet" from McMaster-Carr.
(If you've got any kind of aftermarket suspension, your CD's
WILL skip if you don't do this)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+1, except i want a sub.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts