Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,949 Posts
I would guess that pretty much any cam maker will do a custom grind of an exact camshaft if you request it.

I sent Lunati my old custom camshaft (unknown origins) and they ground a new one to match it exactly for $115. I have to imagine that if you have the specs of the C90Z-6259C cam, you could send those over and have the same one ground.

Reactions: Israel and 67six

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
67, is there some reason you're looking for an 'exact copy' ? Some of the older factory cams are good, but many of the newer lobe designs can do ever better. You could duplicate duration and add or subtract lift, you could widen or tighten the spread. What are you asking your engine to do ? LSG

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
In my search of an exact copy of a C90Z-6259 C and found Cam Reseach – Custom Ford Camshafts | The experts in custom-ground Ford camshafts
All they do is Ford cams.
Any other cam shops that will do an exact copy?
I couldn't get Scott's site to even open up, but that could be my internet connection.....
Didn't know they were actually still in business.

Any company that manufacturers/grinds cams (other than a mass producer) can copy a camshaft. By specs or
by physically having the profile.
Like has already been said, there are a lot of better/newer cam designs (even on a Ford Windsor) than the 50+ year old C9OZ-C spec.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
67, is there some reason you're looking for an 'exact copy' ? Some of the older factory cams are good, but many of the newer lobe designs can do ever better. You could duplicate duration and add or subtract lift, you could widen or tighten the spread. What are you asking your engine to do ? LSG
When I started this ‘build’ my intention was to resurrect the spirit of my ‘67 coupe. Although, everything I did at that time was horribly wrong. With that in mind, I want this build to look/sound like it fell out of 1978, close to being a ‘survivor’. The C90Z-6250 C cam would just add to that nostalgia. Practical? Maybe not. One portion of that plan I already compromised on is the acquisition of a T5 over the 4 speed Toploader.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't get Scott's site to even open up, but that could be my internet connection.....
Didn't know they were actually still in business.

Any company that manufacturers/grinds cams (other than a mass producer) can copy a camshaft. By specs or
by physically having the profile.
Like has already been said, there are a lot of better/newer cam designs (even on a Ford Windsor) than the 50+ year old C9OZ-C spec.
I just called cam research and an their answering machine picked up... Earlier this morning I couldn’t get their page to open either, but it’s back up now. Probably Sunday morning server maintenance.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would this be the information needed?

I would guess that pretty much any cam maker will do a custom grind of an exact camshaft if you request it.

I sent Lunati my old custom camshaft (unknown origins) and they ground a new one to match it exactly for $115. I have to imagine that if you have the specs of the C90Z-6259C cam, you could send those over and have the same one ground.
Would the highlighted be the data needed to make the cam?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
67, uh, yeah. If you want them to make you that, thats enough. Still not understanding what are you thinking ? Not sure how a T5 is a compromise in your process. Put a plain shift knob on top and noone will ever know besides you ! LSG

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Not sure why getting an exact copy of the C9OZ-C cam today is so difficult, somebody was making them at one time.
The last one I had came from Vindicator Racing back about 30 years ago..... may have been an original but probably was a copy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
67, uh, yeah. If you want them to make you that, thats enough. Still not understanding what are you thinking ? Not sure how a T5 is a compromise in your process. Put a plain shift knob on top and noone will ever know besides you ! LSG
T5 was a compromise as I wanted to go with a Toploader, the T5 was a less expensive option for me.

·
Spammer Hammer
10,911 Posts
My ‘66 GT has the C30Z cam. My ‘65 track car has the C7FE cam. HM has been at it for a minute. They make good stuff if you want period correct. Are there better cams for more power, sure...but if you want the real thing, they’re it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My ‘66 GT has the C30Z cam. My ‘65 track car has the C7FE cam. HM has been at it for a minute. They make good stuff if you want period correct. Are there better cams for more power, sure...but if you want the real thing, they’re it.
I bet they both sound awesome!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts