Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36,551 Posts
Howard Cams have "Near duplicate" versions of some of the old Ford cams. #217081-13 is a C90Z-6250C copy. If this wont do the job, I kind of wonder what you are building?
Oddly, Howards makes an exact copy of the C3OZ-C, and the C7FE-A. But their "near duplicate" of the C9OZ-C has .017" less lift on both lobes. I knew one of the Ford engineers who designed such stuff, and I'm pretty sure he was a lot smarter than me. Besides, if I wanted a "sort of" cam, I could use anything. If I wanted exact, I'd use exact. Like I said, these guys were pretty sharp. The old Cobra manifold is only off about 3% of the best computer-designed intakes today. And they used pencils and slide rules.

And I appreciate the idea of using "nostalgia" as a guide. My whole car is done as though the modifications were done when it was new.

I was involved in the restoration of a low-mile 67 GT350 a while back. The restoration was stone-stock, except for long-tube headers, side exit exhaust, and Torque-thrust wheels. The wheels and exhaust were installed the week the car was delivered, so we restored them, too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Doesn’t NPD sell this cam? I haven’t had their catalog in years. i believe a purchased a cam and lifters from them.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Is this the old OHO hydraulic cam? I had good
Luck with that one circa 1981 when you could still get the
Ford original from Valley Ford Parts....

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
I couldn't get Scott's site to even open up, but that could be my internet connection.....
Didn't know they were actually still in business.

Any company that manufacturers/grinds cams (other than a mass producer) can copy a camshaft. By specs or
by physically having the profile.
Like has already been said, there are a lot of better/newer cam designs (even on a Ford Windsor) than the 50+ year old C9OZ-C spec.
I just opened that link: http://www.camresearchcorp.com
That is, if this is the same. It appears so.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Just watched the break-in Vid. Seems like a winner if you are not sure about the process. It is worrisome considering all that you have to watch for within the window if time to get the cam on point. I would pay the $60+shipping for the piece of mine and I've done my own. They don't mention the cost of the matching lifters?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Called an east coast cam company yesterday to place an order for an exact C90Z. They informed me they are unable to obtain cam blanks from their supplier/foundry due to excessive covid restrictions still in place. My stock cam is being shipped to them today for a regrind.😁

21 - 27 of 27 Posts