Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for info from anyone who has a custom ground cam.

I ran across a mag from MMFF that's on the rack right now. Titled "Tech Guide", it is mostly late model stuff, but has a section on custom ground cams and their advantages. It's an excellent article and makes alot of sense. There's a company in Tucson that takes the info you provide about your car and enters it into a database. They come up with cam specs to optimize your particular setup.

So, who among us is running a custom cam? How did you choose it and who made it? How does the cost compare to off the shelf cams? How does it perform?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've had custom grinds ground before but I was the one to pick the specs. I'm not running one in any current drivers but I will be having one ground for the 351W I'm building. The last one I had cut was a couple of years ago and it was around $300.

They couldn't be more right. With a custom grind the engine can match your application perfectly. Be aware though, there is still some trial and error in this. Just because the computer said "this" grind is perfect doesn't mean it is.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Joe,

You might try checking out the races at PIR or SIR up in Seattle, when the class racers are there. They're the ones most likely to use custom designed camshafts.

Most folks like myself (street performance/bracket racers) just don't have the time nor budget to custom design a complete combination, especially considering the relatively good performance of mass-produced speed equipment.

When I followed the NHRA circuit and talked to Stock and SuperStock owners in the pits, many had relationships and development programs with cam manufacturers for their personal operations. My opinion is that many of the current designs came and continue to come from these programs, albeit tailing them.

Hopefully some VMF'ers have some experience with this but, IME racing, very few likely will, as far as designing and executing a completely custom camshaft. IMO, the minimum requirement would be a SuperFlow bench to quantify head, intake and exhaust performance...just not something the average person can afford nor has easy access to...

In any event, good luck in your search!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys.

What I have in mind doesn't necessarily require something designed from the ground up. I certainly am not one with deep pockets and the engine I'm going to build won't do much strip time.

But if I can determine the optimum specs for my given application and something isn't available off the shelf, I just want some options. It may be that once all my variables are punched into the program, the exact cam recommended is already a grind offered by someone. If so, fine. If not, then I'd like to get an idea of cost vs. benefit if I were to supply the specs to someone to grind.

I know I've seen some others here on the VMF refer to their "custom" grinds. Maybe they will offer up some input.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts