Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my 66 has standard 69 seats in it. I like the locking backs and the additional height offered by the head rests as I am 6'-3". It's time to re-upholster. The headrests are in fine shape. Color is black. Foam will be replaced. I could go 69 and that would be fine. I was thinking to go 66 to have it look a little more "correct". What thinks the VMF crowd? Is that possible? I perceive the 69 seats to be a little larger. Is that in the foam? Would 66 foam & upholstery fit on the 69 frames with headrests? (Yes, I would have to cut holes for the seat latch and headrest.)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had TMI do a custom set for me. However, I purchased new seats for the front with headrests and seat backs that recline.
You can look to a local custom upholsterer to see if they can do the work for you. TMI sells their vinyl by the yard, so you can purchase year correct colors.
You can also call TMI and see what they say or can do.
I know some do not like TMI. My experience with them was good. I did an entire interior using custom colors.
As far as your frames go, I do not have enough knowledge to be of assistance there.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Tmi will do custom versions for you. You could get a set of 66 pony seats covers sized for a 69. They will also sell you the center pony pieces and the rest of the vinyl by the yard. You can then have a local upholstery shop put them together for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I picked up a set of 1994 seats and my SIL (auto upholsterer) and I revamped them in leather to look like the original 68 seats.
On the left are the seats taken from a 1994 Mustang, the seat on the right is a O/E 68 seat and the center is the completed seat in black leather.
Bottom photo are seats redone installed

·
Registered
101 Posts
I picked up a set of 1994 seats and my SIL (auto upholsterer) and I revamped them in leather to look like the original 68 seats.
On the left are the seats taken from a 1994 Mustang, the seat on the right is a O/E 68 seat and the center is the completed seat in black leather.
Bottom photo are seats redone installed

How much do you have in the seats and the reupholster?

Looks Great!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I believe 66 uph and foam will fit 69 seat frames without having to order custom made as I have seen years ago early model uph on std 68/69 seat frames. Wes

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
If you want conformation I will give you the email of my uph man of 21years ago and he will confirm or deny what I posted. send me a pm and I will reply. Wes

·
Registered
16 Posts
N
How much do you have in the seats and the reupholster?

Looks Great!
I paid $125 for the seats, about $150 for the leather. The labor and the incidentals came from my son in law, he was in the upholstery business at the time.

The 94 seat rails were modified and 2” extensions welded on them to give more leg room, the 94 rails have more rear adjustment than the 68’s as well so lots of leg room for my 6’ plus frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts