Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon installing my 27" wide griffin aluminum radiator and electric fan, I decided to move the radiator forward approx. 3" to allow the fan enough clearance from the water pump pulley (~1.25"). Unfortunately, I had to go through hell to find a lower radiator hose that spanned the extra difference for my 351W. After searching behind the counters at many parts stores, I decided to splice two hoses together using a radiator hose fix kit. Within two days of running the engine for only ten minutes, the hose leaked. I then returned to the parts stores and found a hose that was perfect! Today, upon installing my power steering pump, however, I discovered that the pump hits my lower hose requiring me to find a new hose. I have searched high and low for a hose that has the correct contours and ID, but have yet to find anything that matches. I'd rather not spend $70+ on one of the metal custom-bendable hoses. Does anyone know where I could find a hose that would fit for a reasonable (read less than $30) price? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you have enough oddball changes that a custom hose would be the best way to go. Figure how much time would you spend search for, buying, installing, and removing hoses that don't work. Two hoses into it you're already over the cost of a custom one. I know paying more sucks but it s usually worth it in the long run

G

·
0 Posts
You might check and see if a lower hose for a 1973-79 Ford Truck with a 302 or 351 would fit, or possibly a hose for a 78 Thunderbird with a smallblock. I recently used a 77 Granada lower hose for a custom installation. Greg

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I ran into the same problem. Ultimately, I got a piece of pipe the right diameter and clamped two hoses to the spacer pipe (with hose clamps) to get the right length and the right fit, but it sounds like you already tried something like that. I never, well, have not yet had any leak problems.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I think I might try the two hose setup again and see if maybe this time I can be more successful. Otherwise, I'll just bite the bullet and spend the money on the custom hose. The only thing that worries me is the tight radius required to make the custom hose work. Does anyone know how tight the radius can be on say a stainless steel rad hose before it kinks (I was looking at the flexible rubber hoses that are steel encased on summit's website)?

thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
i just stuffed a huge radiator from a tow truck in my car, and i just used one of the cheap universal ones at the parts store. It has a spring inside its entire length to maintain its shape too. For 8 bucks, it can't hurt to try, and i've run the car at least 20 hours since with no leaks

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,022 Posts
My solution was to cut and paste several pieces of hose together with some small pieces of PVC pipe. I clamped everything nice and tight and took "frankenhose" to the local cooperative parts store (NAPA in my case). Since they wanted nothing to do with it, they let me browse their "wall of hoses". I picked two that looked likely, pating particular attention to bends and end diameters. One of them fit fine with a bit of trimming. There's a heck of a lot of wierd OEM hoses out there. Best to go to the "main" parts house is possible to be able to check out the widest variety. In NAPA's particular case, they generally have at least one centrally located in most states. Be sure to call ahead to be assured of browsing priviledges. Some places guard their "back rooms" like Fort Knox or something. Don't overlook a local farm equipment dealer or big truck repair shop. You might fine what you need almost anywhere. Once you find what you need, be sure to note the part number so you can easily replace it should something happen "down the road".

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already tried the internal spring flex hose, but the radius required is too tight and caused the hose to bend. I have also already perused the back walls of NAPA, Pep Boys, Autozone, and Main Auto Parts. I have found likely candidates and even one hose that worked with trimming. However, upon attempting to install my power steering pump, this hose no longer fits. So it looks like I might just have to get the stainless steel or check out a truck supply place as suggested.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts