Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly a year, I finally get to install this beauty I got from Randall. A custom made rack, stainless mounting cradle and polished everything. This is going into the Boss 302 project, and now that we have the motor we can install this to check our clearances. Check out more info on this setup coming soon to Mustang and Fords magazine. This one has Randalls adjustable center shaft to help eliminate bump steer.

http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/rack1.jpg
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/rack2.jpg

I'm telling you right now - Randall is the best. Very sexy. Not Randall, the rack. Although Randall is a handsome man, I just... well.....

Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
If somebody has a 68 or later steering column, what type of hookup does the kit come with?

For example, I have read the spearomatic shafts have to be altered, but do the columns with rag joints have to be cut up also?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If somebody has a 68 or later steering column, what type of hookup does the kit come with?

For example, I have read the spearomatic shafts have to be altered, but do the columns with rag joints have to be cut up also?
Randall's system works with both - you have to modify the shaft but it works just fine. We'll be connecting this to a 70 Tilt column.

Dave

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dayum....that is one nice lookin' rack, Dave....

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
67mousetang said:
be careful there has been a few complaints about part rack posts :p
Just don't tell Tiggermom about this post ;)

Joe

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Sexy rack. Does Randall offer that adjustable center shaft in a standard kit?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The adjustable center rod allows you to move the tie rod ends in and out to help eliminate the bump steer. I can almost get rid of it once I am done. Yes it is available - but it is an option. If you remember the install I did on the 70 convertible for Mustang and Fords Magazine, on the street car the bump was reduced well below acceptible levels without it, but since this car is making 950 hp well.......

Dave

·
Registered
540 Posts
Randall's system works with both - you have to modify the shaft but it works just fine. We'll be connecting this to a 70 Tilt column.

Dave

I would love to see more pics of this and will be looking for the write up in the magazine as well. One question I have is will this be a power rack install? If so, which pump are you planning on using? I'd love to see a proper comparison of the GM series 2 pump and the Ford pump. Maybe you could work that in somehow?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Dave, I mightg be crazy, but it looks to me like the boot covering the center link on that rack is smaller in diameter than the regular ones? I know it is a minor difference, but my boot is all torn up from the oil pan on my 4.6... there is so little clearance that every time I got lock to lock the boot gets stretched out and tears.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
hope you don't mind me asking but what did that nice shiny rack cost ? hes says they start at 1700. i'm thinking about buying one! thanks

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would love to see more pics of this and will be looking for the write up in the magazine as well. One question I have is will this be a power rack install? If so, which pump are you planning on using? I'd love to see a proper comparison of the GM series 2 pump and the Ford pump. Maybe you could work that in somehow?
This is a power rack install. We bought a March pulley setup and was planning on using a late model Ford pump, but I may go to the KRC pump, depending on what kind of bling I could get for either pump. Stock black pump = bad. Don't recommend using an original early pump - it works but it isn't really designed for a rack application.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts