Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dimples
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For once, I took decent photos of a build process, so for your edification, I bring you the no-longer-stock center console.

I started with an original console that I had in my car when the interior was still red. Apparently it came from a green interior car. I chopped out the center section of the body and trim plate to allow for the foxbody emergency brake.

In this photo, you can see the tiny amp I use to drive the speakers. It has a little bluetooth module connected to it that is accessible via the ash tray door so I can charge it periodically.

Mock up for the e-brake surround using cardboard.

Once I had the shape figured out for that surround, I used the cardboard as a template and cut new pieces out of masonite and covered it with black vinyl.

Here it is top-side all nice and covered.

This is the underside. I used some spare quarter round trim stuff I had laying around the house to reinforce the joints using a combination of cyanoacrylate glue for strength and hot glue for fast setup.

I removed the body of the amp, leaving just the controls and card, then mounted it to the piece of masonite that holds it in place.

Here it is rough assembled on the kitchen table.

I wish I had a photo of this detail, but I used a piece of roofing trim that was a +/- 8 inch diameter metal vent tubing, cut about 2 thirds of it away and covered it in craft foam to add some body, then vinyl for the finish. This tucks under the handle part of the e-brake and adds a nice curved section where your hand goes between the amp and the e-brake surround piece.

And installed.

Edit: More recent shot that includes the new steering wheel. Not pictured is the shiny new (and not warped) dash pad.

I still need to get the chrome end cap trim piece to finish off the part at the end. I also have an underdash A/C unit to install, that's why it's the short version. The shifter boot is from an '85 Mustang. I can't recall where I got the e-brake boot. Some import out of the junk yard. It looks close in the photos, but there's actually plenty of room to get to the volume knob when the handle is down.

Let me know what y'all think. I'm happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Wow.. you did a really nice job on that.

I have a tunnel mounted e-brake too and I've been wondering how to potentially make a console fit it.

-Shannon

·
Dimples
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I thought about this one for a long time, and decided it'd look classier and more finished if I worked with what I had instead of building an entire custom solution. Maybe if I had great sewing/upholstery skills I'd have tried something different, but I'm very pleased with the outcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts