Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So some time in the future, I would like to change up my tail lights.
I've been fantasizing about some circle tail lights, I drew a picture of what I mean, let me know what you think.

This is a mustang I plan on keeping forever, so i'm not worried about degrading the value, just slowly making it my own style.

Thanks,

Also post your own ideas, always nice for more opinions

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Looks too much like Corvette taillights. Maybe some of the old Ford round ones, like the Falcons used to have?

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Yup - looks like it backed into a Camaro. Doesn't work on the Stang. The Mustang's design focuses on linear movement lines (e.g. the belt character line sweeping the eye all across the the car, GT stripes, Shelby stripes, all the lines on the various louvers and gill vents on a 67, the trademark 3 linear vertical taillights, etc.) Round shapes don't match this theme, so it confuses the eye to see it.
Some variation of 3 vertical narrow hash marks per side for taillights might be cool if you want the custom thing. Just a brainstorm idea - don't know if it would work...
Sorry if this post disagrees with your plans for the car -- it is your car, do as you want it to be.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your right.. it does look like camaro haha...

I appreciate everyones thoughts, I will draw a quick one with the tail lights you talked about

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kinda like the stock tail lights as well, but with 4, like this.

sorry about the drawings haha.. they look better with color, but takes me alot longer to throw in color

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
I agree with the GTO identity. Actually, back in the '70's my next door neighbour had that done to his '66 actually had 67-68 Camaro taillights grafted in and working. Just didn't work IMHO. While the three horizontal line tailights "fit" the car better, they do still look to GM-ish.
Mustangs need the triplicated vertical tailights, or some version of that. I have also seen, back in the '70's, 67-68 fastbacks with doubled tail lights - 6 stock ones per side instead of three. These, while interesting, were just plain too busy to look at.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Stock or Shelby. All others are too 70's-ish bad customizing. There is a local '67 or '68 with two sets of tail lights. Yuk!
I thought it over hard about adding the '65 Thunderbird tail lights to the back of my '66 Fastback with a spoiler. But I sat and thought about it long and hard. I fell in love with the original look of a '66, and I want to keep it that way.
Now if I can find a coupe to fix up.....

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Shelby should have used a bit more ingenuity before putting T-bird tail lights on his cars. I don't like them at all.
Stick with the O/E three verts and if you must do something LED them

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I plan to have a black car. Using LED's and removing the chrome bezels so that the lights are flush with the body, I then plan to tint the lights with VHT nightshade. This will cause the taillights to "disappear" into the panel. You could get the same effect with a "black-out" treatment of the tail panel.
Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts