Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dimples
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience dealing with TMI on custom orders? I know I can call them, but I'd like to hear your thoughts/experience first.

Situation: I want to put Bullitt seats in my daughter's 66 coupe, and TMI makes Bullitt Upholstery with extra foam built in to add it to any SN95 seat frame, which is super cool. Here's the rub; they offer several different color choices, including "Oxford White", which appears to be a pretty bright white. That'd be perfect for the kid's car, but I have to match the rest of the interior too. I need to commit to either the bright white or the early white and potentially mix things up with 65 parts if I go the vintage route. (re: door panels) So I either need...

- The Bullitt seats done in the vintage 65 material and I suppose use 65 door panels (I don't love this idea). Or use the spray vinyl dye from NPD, which I have used in the past with great results. I would prefer not to use the vinyl dye on the front seats though. Door panels and back seat I can make work.
or
- Go with the Oxford White in the whole interior and see if TMI can make me a rear seat with the Oxford material. TMI does sell a "carbon fiber look" door panel that's bright white. Not my first choice but we can make that work.

@69bossnine - Maybe Rick has some wisdom for this one too. Also, wondering if I can source the Bullitt upholstery through NPD. Would much rather give my money to you than CJ.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
when we use TMI for custom applications we will usually get matching bulk material from them to use for the rest of the car. they are a great company to deal with

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Oxford is as white as white can be...if used as a dd it will transfer ink from clothes continually...plan on cleaning...and cleaning...and...you get it...

·
Dimples
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info, thank you sir. Duly noted on the cleaning factor. The wife is a bit of a seamstress, so we were considering making some covers out of T-shirt material for protection from both dirt and heat for daily duty.

I'm counting on the bulk material. I plan to cover the dash and door skins (surrounding the door panel) in vinyl material the same way I did on mine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I did my full interior with custom colors. They were good to work with. I talked with the rep about colors and they sent me a bunch of swatches to choose from. I also bought some extra yards of vinyl to keep on hand in case of future repairs. Other than some fitment issues I'm very satisfied with the final product.
Here is the interior

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
201 Posts
I found they have many more options with color than they display on their site. When you call them, ask them to send you as many swatches of the whites that they have.

·
Registered
946 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I had TMI do custom upholstery for my front seats about 8 years ago. They were reasonably priced and the fit and appearance were just what I was looking for

1 - 9 of 9 Posts