Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I saw an article several months ago describing American Racings introduction of a custom offset program for the TTD. I have been calling them for serveral months and been getting delayed each time. They 're supposed to call the wheel "Classic 205" and it will be the answer for those like me that don't like the look of 16" wheels on classic mustangs but don't want to hammer fender wells to make the TTD 3 3/4" backspacing fit. With the new program you can order custom offset of 4.25" in a 15" dia and have great looking tires and wheels with moving sheet metal around.

Anyone know anything more or waiting on them like me. If so maybe we can get an idea who might be interested and get some movement out of them?

Sorry my website isn't listed in the profile yet, having trouble with my provider.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I noticed that American Racing was offering Chromed D's (not TT2s) on their Web site for a bit. They disappeared though. It may have been in the pipeline but I think the demand right now in wheels is for 17s and 18s and therefore I'm sure that is where the focus currently is.

It's funny you should mention it though, but for some reason that 1" increment in rims makes quite a difference in appearance. Of course I lean the other way on wheel size preference myself. Good luck.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT
Please bring back last post to top!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jay and Johnpro,

I respect the desire of those that like the 16" wheels, they're just not for me. (I'm getting too old, 41, to change my ways)

Yes, I'm speaking of 15x7's . My experience is the only way TTDs fit with a tire width greater than 205mm and an aspect ratio of 60 or less is to roll the fenders. I must be fair and explain I'm putting them on a Shelby that is probably >1" lower than a standard ride height. I'd like to fit 225-55R15 tires on the car. These have the same dia and section width as the 225-60R14 setup I am running with great success right now. (yes I said 14", which are very difficult and $$$ to get as roadrace tires) BTW the wheels currently on the car are 14 x 7 Magnum 500's (w/std 4 1/8" backspacing).

I have seen larger tires (235-60R15) on TTD on early cars but the tires were directly "UNDER" the fender lip and the car was jacked up to clear them. Ugh!

"If you're under control you aren't going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I have 15x7 TTD's on my '66 coupe. I'm running 225/60s on back and 20560s on front. My front is lowered 1". The only clearance problem I have at all is an occasional rub in the back if I hit, like a dip in the road, at high speeds with 2 adults in the back. I figure this problem will go away when I replace those tired rear springs. I haven't modified the wheel wells at all. HTH.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Johnpro,

It's the 205's you're running on the front that I'm trying to avoid with the custom backspacing.

I bet your car looks great, TTDs are nice!

Parnelli Jones

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I heard that they were now offering two piece TTD's, but last time I checked they weren't on their website. Is that what you're talking about? They said that with the two pc design, they could offer many different backspacings. Seems like a larger offset in the rear would provide clearance for a bigger tire. I've got 215/60-15's on the rear with 3 3/4 BS, have a lot of room on the inside, and sometimes rub on the outside. Anybody ever put a 15 x 8 on the rear of a 64-66? If so, what size tire?

The poster formerly known as JAV65

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jim,

Yes, I believe the wheel will be a two piece design.

I just wish we couldd get them to make them!

Parnelli Jones

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
One of the car shows on cable said they were already available, and that was a few months ago! Guess they must be having trouble with them. If you hear of anything, please let us know.

The poster formerly known as JAV65

1 - 10 of 10 Posts