Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this 69 Mach I brought to the shop today. Guy was told he bought it from the second owner and that he had owned it since the seventies. It has been wrecked badly in the front and rear with poorly done frame repair and half done body work done with rivets and screws and of course lots of mud. I could tell you what good on it faster than what's bad. Rear frame rails tack welded in place. Front frame rails poorly repaired and straightened then filled with bondo then undercoated. Very unsafe car that he wants me to get it up and running for his wife to drive. I wouldn't even stick my mother in law in this heap. I feel sorry for the guy but this happens too often on Ebay. I love the brake line pic the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
I once saw a convertible bought off ebaY that was advertised as "restorable". It was so rusty it was collapsing in the middle, and parts (like bumpers) were falling off.

It was sold by a lawyer.

To a lawyer.

I'd have paid to see that court fight.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Like they say never buy without looking first. I bought one of eBay but I drove the 85 mi and comfirmed it was junk first and then bought it.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I once saw a convertible bought off ebaY that was advertised as "restorable". It was so rusty it was collapsing in the middle, and parts (like bumpers) were falling off.

It was sold by a lawyer.

To a lawyer.

That is great!

From the picture posted, the car looks good on the outside. Perfect ebay car. Are you going to work on it or do you have to tell him the bad news yet? Was it driven to the shop?

·
Registered
485 Posts
It was sold by a lawyer.

To a lawyer.

It is likely that two other attorneys got paid to represent the two original attorneys. Gosh I love this country.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts

It was sold by a lawyer.

To a lawyer.

Ok so I might make a few mad here but..... would it matter who won?, would it matter who got screwed? Thats kinda funny right there. (but in case I need a lawyer in the future... I was just kidding) I think lawyers have a saying like "you only hate lawyers till you need one".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well heck, At least it's shiny.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got mine off ebay. Fortunately, everything from the firewall forward had been replaced. The floorpans had been done also. The amount of rust that was cut out of it once I got it could fit in a shoe box. I don't consider myself lucky, considering how much I am paying the body/paint guy.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,669 Posts
"drove the 85 mi and comfirmed it was junk first and then bought it" Man after my own heart. Yep, it's a pile of crap, let me just go ahead get my trailer backed up to it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I bet those first four pictures never made ebay :) I can't say too much. I pretty much knew what I was getting into taking over my basketcase convertible. But even it was worse than I thought. And I had already done one Mustang so I knew what to look at.

But for me fixing one up is most of the fun.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is great!

From the picture posted, the car looks good on the outside. Perfect ebay car. Are you going to work on it or do you have to tell him the bad news yet? Was it driven to the shop?
He bought the car a few years ago and didn't drive it for over a year and a half so I picked it up. I have written a large 3 page inspection so far and haven't gotten to the interior. From just a quick couple minute glance it wasn't good news either. I hate having to tell him and I'm still trying to figure out how to explain this to him without making him feel like an idiot. I guess all I can do is bring him to the shop and show him step by step. I am sure it will be painful for him.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I bought my last 5 mustangs off ebay.they were all kinda rough.but you get what you pay for.I was gonna redo them all anyway.I learned a lot about mustangs that way. but no regrets,cause you go thru everything.I would do it again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought my last 5 mustangs off ebay.they were all kinda rough.but you get what you pay for.I was gonna redo them all anyway.I learned a lot about mustangs that way. but no regrets,cause you go thru everything.I would do it again.
You and I would no problem repairing these cars. This guy knows practically nothing about a car let alone a 69 Mach.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What a shame. The car looks friggin gorgeous in that one picture,I guess that shade of red is called "Resale Red" for a reason. A bondoed frame rail.That's classic. Personally I would think you would be best if you leave it on the lift for the customer, that way he can see everything as you explain it. That is a friggin shame. It wouldn't be too bad I guess if he didn't overpay but I'm getting the feeling he did.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Who did the "restoration"?? DVAP, AKA: Desert Car Kings? Looks like something they would do.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Unfortunately what I see happening, is the guy is going to think you're the crook. End up taking it to somebody else who will do a crappy job, and then he's going to hate mustangs all together.

Sorry if I'm a bit pessemistic today, it's been a long week this morning.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
"drove the 85 mi and comfirmed it was junk first and then bought it" Man after my own heart. Yep, it's a pile of crap, let me just go ahead get my trailer backed up to it.

Gyp,
I LMAO too!:lol::lol::lol:
...it's junk but I bought it! That's funny chit!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called the guy and left a message this morning. I told him I will not go any further with this deal until he comes up and sees the carnage. He's an intelligent guy (not about cars) and I have a good reputation so I am not worried about him thinking I'm the crook. It's pretty obvious that this was done awhile ago and the poor work will speak for itself.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hopefully you're right. But people who don't know these cars, and see shiny paint think it's all good under the hood (so to speak).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is it even a real Mach? Anything special about it? Because if it isn't he may be better of getting rid of it and taking the loss. A pop riveted, bondoed over hunk of junk will consume heaps of time and cash to make right. Might be better getting another car instead... I also see a bit of a problem in it for you if you're going to do the work on a budget.... rust is nearly always worse than what the eye sees from the outside and fixing this car will take lots of hours and probably more issues will arise once you get the thing apart. Since most businesses will want to charge those hours the bill will be much higher than anticipated and probably not to the liking of the customer.

Either make it very clear that the cost of fixing this thing could get higher as the work progresses or ditch this blender and look for something solid. Personally I'd ditch it. Thats probably a painful decision for your customer but some simple cost comparisons of what a nice solid driver costs and what it could cost to fix this thing might persuade him.

Best of luck, J

1 - 20 of 32 Posts