Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some idiot cut the dash around the am/fm radio. Pisses me off. Can I install a new dash or what? How is the dash installed? Is it welded or bolted in? Help!!!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to get a patch? It's a part you can buy from NPD or elsewhere...

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to expand on what 66_Pony said, you can buy a patch that can be welded into place. It's made specifically for those with a cut dash around the radio area. NPD and others carry it.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
See there "Newbie", no need to blow a gasket. The VMF has all the answers, or someone will make one up! Sooo many of them dashes were wacked on there's a part made to fix it! Remember your not alone, couple hundred thousand been there and done that before you. That's why this wonderful place is here. Keep after it and have fun.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Well, if you are going to do the cowls, and can get a dash, it is only a little more work to get the dash out. Otherwise, you must remove the windshield, and drill out a bunch of spotwelds. Then remove the wiper motor bracket, and the pedal support to dash, then two spot welds on each side, behind the kick panels. I chose this route when I did my dash, because of the expertise of the welder (not really a bodyman)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the patch panel from NPD and was not pleased with the fit, so I didn't use it. My dash was cut for a different two knob radio, so it isn't cut badly. I have elected to get a radio delete plate to cover the damage and put a modern DIN radio in a custom console.

Don't ask for pictures since the car isn't very far along yet. When I get something thats not too embarassing I'll post pics.

Anyone want a dash patch panel for a '65/'66?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I had to replace my dash because someone took a torch to it to get the pedal assy out. As Paulwall said, you've got to pull the windshield, but after that it's pretty straight forward. I cut my dash in the middle of the flat upper surface, near to and through some of the circular holes for the defroster ducts. I used them to align the new dash. welding on this upper surface doesn't have to be too pretty, the dash pad will cover it up. The only other welding, IIRC, is to two lower tabs at the bottom of the dash, and they are covered by the kick panels. There was some kind of seam sealer or filler on the sides of the dash where it met the forward door jamb.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
One thing to keep in mind about those patch panels...I've heard that the aftermarket cassette stereos that so many of use have won't fit. The patch panel is only good for an original AM radio.

Don't know about this first hand though. I glassed in a metal patch panel and installed an AM a few years back, and everything went smoothly.

I'd do some research before I made big plans to install a true stereo in the patch panel.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I installed a custom autosound cheapie AM/FM and it fit fine.

Even used the AM support bracket to hold up the back.

Paul

·
Registered
487 Posts
On the NPD patch panel:

If you trim it down a bit (retangle) and then scribe the outline onto the original dash, you can then cut out that area of the dash and fit the replacement panel into the dash for "butt" welding.

Sort of the same thing that you should do for a fender or quarter panel repair panel. No way would this panel work if it were to overlay the existing sheet metal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts