Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I know that in order to wire my pertronix coil (12v) correctly I need to splice into the red wire with a green stripe (1970) through the firewall. What is the best method of connection? I'm a little nervous about cutting ignition wires. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
You could try using a quick connect.
Its a llttle plactic thing that holds both wires with a thin peice of metal that strips the insulation and makes a circuit. IF you have to remove, it comes off without breaking the wire and you can tape up where the insulation is sliced open.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I'm not familiar with 1970 wiring, but if there are any existing wire connections via snap (aka bullet) connectors, make a "Y" connector with snap connectors using spare wire and a soldering gun, and connect there. That's what I did under the dash on my '66.

Steve

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thoes quick connect things suck ass. water gets into them, than travels under the insulation of the wire and corrodes the wire away for a couple inches in each direction of the connection. solder and use heat shrink, ittl never break, never corode, and you can unsolder it if you ever need to. it looks better to boot /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

- Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts