Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Mustang that I am taking down to bare metal and I need to cut the hole in the hood for the Shaker Scoop. The car is not painted yet so I don’t need to protect the paint while cutting the hole. I have seen a few people on Mustang forums saying to use a Knock Out punch set the do the corners and a jig saw to cut the straight lines. I was worried that the Knock out punch would distort the metal. Other have said to use a metal hole saw and to drill the small holes that hold the trim ring on before you cut the big hole. I do have the template to cut the hole. What the best way.
Thanks
Scott

G

·
Where did you get the template? I will be doing the same thing. What radius will you need for the corners? That will be the deciding answer. You could always use a hydraulic knock out punch. This is easier on the metal rather than using the manual.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I found it best not to go by that template. I put the shaker onthe motor first. Then I made sure it was centered. Once I was satisfied, I took measurements from the cowl panel to the back of the scoop and the front of the scoop. Take shaker off car, close hood, and mark these locations on the hood w/ a grease pen. Trim ring can now be placed on the hood to allow a nice even spacing between front and rear marks so your gap will be even. As long as the scoop was centered, this will work using the trim ring provided you center it over the crease down the center of your hood. You can now use your trim ring as a template, or use your template opening using your marked measurements. Do not trust the template, as I had made marks for the opening using both methods and found the template off. That would have ruined my hood, at the least.

Suggestion, put down 2 in masking tape all around the area where the opening will be on the hood, make your marks on that. I used the most expensive jig saw blades I could find, and took my time. I had no problem with the radius, and a quick hit with the grinder mad the opening look punched out. The tape protects your hood from the saw too. If you have any other questions, e-mail me

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought mine from Perogie. Here is a link to there site
http://www.perogie.com/
Don't buy the copies from people on [censored], I did and found out they are making photo copies after photo copyoff the oringal and the plans are not to size, they change each time they are copied.
Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts