Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone cut their own axles? Can it be done with a chop saw and file the ends of the splines to bevel the edges. I have seen 31 spline axles with long splines that are cut to fit. Not trying to be too cheap, but if I can do it in 30 minutes with the tools I have and avoid at least 2 trips to a machine shop i'll do it. I just have a chop saw no band saw and I am concerned about weakening the metal by over heating.

N

·
0 Posts
Can you do it? I dont know. Would I even consider it? Absolutely not. Take it to a qualified shop and have them do it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
What year car do you have,and what year are the axles that you want to cut?I have a set already done for a 65-66,for a 52" housing.
Greg

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
We had to take of 1/2 on my 31 spline brand new strange axles. Chop saw was just fine (which is what a shop would use to do it according to the shop I called and asked before I cut them). Just make sure you have the axle completely supported so it doesn't move around on you. You can also use the chop saw to add the little bevel on the edges.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts