Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I cut one coil out of my front springs, will I just see a drop that equals the thickness of the coil and the space in between and experience a softer ride? Or, will the removed coil soften up the springs enough to cause an even lower ride? I'm thinking of just going 1/2 coil at first. Any info on this?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd start with a quarter coil. It lowers more than you think.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yeah, a 1/4 at a time. You might also consider torching the coil. Do a very small surface area and stop when she starts to drop, chech the height. Now some will have the opinion that it's better to cut, but when you cut, you are also removing torsional travel which makes things a bit stiffer. While heating does remove torsional tension also, it still leave a potion of the coil that would normally be removed intact, allowing for a little bit better ride. The secret is like with cutting...a little area at a time to see what ya get.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WHAT???????????????? NEVER cut a spring... especially with a torch! Spring rates are measured bu the diameter of the coil & the number of coils. Cutting one makes it stiffer & it won't last long. A torch makes it brittle. Do yourself and whoever is in the car with you a favor & just buy a set of lowering springs... if not you'll be sorry. Ask someone that knows spring steel & metalurgy... it's a dangerous thing! Trust me... been there, done that... one too many times!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the information. I appreciate the quick response. Prairie: I agree...to a point. Right now I'm just getting the car set up. I have in the past, however, had great luck with cut springs. What I really want is a set of the progressive rate front springs, but right now I'm just trying to establish ride height to determine rim/tire sizes. The springs won't be on the car for that long.Thanks again everybody...I think I'll start with 1/4 just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have progressive rate springs in my car. They are designed to be cut to adjust ride height, as stated by the vendor (Pro Motor Sports). Cutting the spring will stiffen it slightly. Using a cut-off wheel takes about 10 minutes. #620 drop springs are good, but do make a pretty stiff ride.

I cut a half a coil out of my srings to match my mid-eye leaf springs (1" drop). This set-up made the car exactly level, but I really wanted a little rake to the car. I obtained more rake by going with larger tires in back 205/225. The car now has a small rake and looks great!

If I did it again I would cut 3/4 coil out of the springs and run the same size tires.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cutting the spring with a cutoff wheel and keeping it cool will not hurt the metalurgy of the spring. As already noted, the spring rate will increase somewhat, but most people want that.

I like the idea of the progressive rates and will probably convert myself as the 620s are too stiff based on my limited driving so far. But I'll wait until the car is painted and on the road for real.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts