Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did my search and it sounds like I need to replace the instrument panel voltage regulator. My under hood voltage regulator went out, replaced it, now guages want to read very high. What is the easiest way to get to the CVR? Instrument panel all the way out? Can I get to it if I take the dash pad off? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hello.You have to pull the instrument cluster out.Pulling the dash pad won't help any.Disconnecting the speedo cable is the only thing that's aggravating on a 67.It's kind of a tight squeeze getting to it.Good luck! :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Im curious to know what the problem u were having. Ive never heard of the CVR, and what it actually does. Please inform me, thanx.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CVR stands for constant voltage regulator. It is located on the backside of the instrument panel. It reduces the electrical voltage down to 5 volts which is what the more "delicate" guages require for power. My under hood voltage regulator failed, allowing too much current to go to the CVR and the guages. My battery got pretty hot too! The CVR was blown because too much current ran through it. My gas guage and temp guage are pegged, all the way to the right, reading way too high. Charging and oil pressure are also reading high. I believe the CVR is now letting so much electrical current through to the guages, that the resistance built into the guage sending units is overcome and causing high readings. Guage readings are adjusted by the amount of resistance from the sending units. Hopefully, I didn't fry my guages. I think this is accurate, but it is coming from an accountant, not a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Actually, the high readings are caused by a short circuit to ground. Most likely the CVR is stuck on 0V. They are supposed to oscillate between 0 and 12V, giving you 5V on average. Replace the CVR now...the gauges can be ruined by running them shorted to ground.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I took my best shot at explaining! Yes, I don't plan on starting the car again until I have replaced it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts