Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me the location of the 2 drain plugs on the 289 engine? I think I may have located them, if they are just below the front most spark plugs on each side of the engine. Please help me confirm. :shrug:

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Cylinder block coolant drain plugs? :shrug:

Do you mean the freeze plugs???

-Rory

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
On my 89 5.0 liter, they are right where you described... close to the motor mounting pads. They are small allen plugs ~1/2" diameter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2ndGen said:
Cylinder block coolant drain plugs? :shrug:

Do you mean the freeze plugs???

-Rory
Not the freeze plugs ...... if you want to completely drain the old coollant before adding new stuff, there is a drain plug on each side of the 298V8. So far, can't find them.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Iv'e seen those plugs and never realized what they were! Amazing what I still don't know... I've always just drained from the radiator.

-Rory

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2ndGen said:
Iv'e seen those plugs and never realized what they were! Amazing what I still don't know... I've always just drained from the radiator.

-Rory
Mine don't appear to be allen type heads, if they are located below the front 2 spark plugs.
Please, if anyone has a 289 or 302, let me know where these draing plugs are. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
The drain on the pass side is just forward of the front motor mount bolt, the driver side drain is just back of the last freeze plug. I have hex head plugs and always drain the engine with them.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
These are the only plugs I've seen on the outside of the block other than the freeze plugs...
Note that the white oval is partially obscuring one of the engine mount pads, the plug shown is right next to the front of the engine mount on the passenger side.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1203900177-block.gif
Hope it helps.

-Rory

P.S. Ignore the arrow pointing to the cylinder skirt... it's an old picture.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
They are right where Mark describes them.

A nice touch is the installation of a 1/8" NPT drain petcock for a radiator in the hole on the P/S front.

Then, when you want to drain the fluid, open the petcocks on both the block and radiator to drain the system.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks much - next Saturday's chore is spoken for.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
A 3/8 drive 12 point 7/16" socket works well for those if you flip the socket over on the ratchet. A 6 point socket won't work.

Frank

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the best way to get at these from under the car?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
That's why the trick I posted above works so well--you're using the square end of the 7/16" socket.

Frank

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Crustycurmudgeon said:
A 3/8 drive 12 point 7/16" socket works well for those if you flip the socket over on the ratchet. A 6 point socket won't work.

Frank
Are you saying that you drive the socket on the 12 pt 7/16" side and slip the 3/8" drive side of the socket over the NPT boss??

I tried driving a 3/8" socket wrench on a 12 pt 3/8" and a 7/16", and they both work well! I'll be damned! Now, if the NPT boss was a 3/8" square, this would be golden!

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Woof Woof!

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Exactly. An 11 mm socket is a tiny bit smaller and so fits a bit tighter. Either will work. I'm not able to get a 3/8 socket backwards on the ratchet, though.

Frank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts