Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of doing the Boss 289 "upgrade" to my 66 289 that @22GT told me about. It's listed on Mustang Barn's tech info page. Question is if I machine screw in rocker studs what size do I use? ARP makes 4 different 7/16 studs ranging from 1.9" installed length to 3.0' installed length. I looked thru my workshop manual and couldn't find any listing to the installed height of the press in studs, so nothing to compare too.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
my 66 289
If your heads are '66 they will have the large holes where the pushrod passes through the head casting and you will need pushrod guide plates. If the heads are '65 they have slotted holes in the head casting and no guide plates are needed.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
l looked at doing this on a set of 65 heads I ported the heck out of. I had the stud bosses milled down and added screw in studs and the guide plates as I had them laying around for years. The late-model 302 rocker arm fulcrums would need to be reamed out fo fit the stud, and the bottom of them milled off. I was unable to find a drop in fulcrum that would work. What are you going to use and where did you get them? I wound up just using the old rockers and grooved half ball styled chevy fulcrums.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Going to bump this up hoping someone will chime in on what fulcrums could be used, where did they get them, what did they have to do to make them work? How are these later rocker arms any better than the 65 style? seems like the can still wiggle around causing the same issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts