Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. My dad has a 1970 Mach 1 (a few actually) but one is painted raven black with a red interior. He is about to start restoring it and wants to paint it grabber blue and change the seats to black ones. My question is how rare (or lack there of) is this color combination? I’ve tried looking online but cannot find a single picture of this combination. Thanks in advance, Daniel

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Kevin Marti at Marti Auto Works could give you the breakdown.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello to all. My dad has a 1970 Mach 1 (a few actually) but one is painted raven black with a red interior. He is about to start restoring it and wants to paint it grabber blue and change the seats to black ones. My question is how rare (or lack there of) is this color combination? I’ve tried looking online but cannot find a single picture of this combination. Thanks in advance, Daniel
I wouldn't change the color, raven black with red would seem to be more popular than grabber blue with black. As far as rarity I don't know, but originality rules. IMO

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think Raven Black was the only color that was still acrylic lacquer in 1970. I bet the color combination is rare enough to change his mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Daniel
I have a genuine 1970 Grabber Blue Mach 1 and going by the Marti report there were 2,695 built with this paint code and to answer your question, 1,882 were built with this colour with black trim which mine is. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
35,476 Posts
OK, Raven Black with Red Vinyl was a very rare combination. Probably more so than Grabber Blue. Ive seen a lot of Grabber Blue. I don't think I've ever seen Red/Black on a 1970 mach1.

Because build records are available, changing the color will be a permanent hit for value, as much as 20%. And red/black on a 1970 mach1, not just rare, but dammed nice. Typically, and I've seen this a lot, people who dislike the color of their Mustang have ratty, faded, oxidized paint and interior. Once restored, the cars uniformly look fabulous.

Lots of huge photos here. If he doesn't go Black/Red he's crazy.

·
Vendor
3,820 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Luckily I think I have talked him into keeping the original colors :D
Thank the Lord!! One of the reasons I love classic cars is the availability of interior colors other than black, tan or gray (the dungeons they stick us in today).

Raven Black with Vermillion interior.. Quite rare (never seen one in person myself), DYNAMITE looking, and if the car was ever put on the market, it would be a definite and considerable value-adder to many collectors. Your dad came to his senses.. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,745 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Luckily I think I have talked him into keeping the original colors :D
Welcome to the board, lots of good info here!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Any guesses what that mach sold for.....thats one of the cars I would buy when I hit the lotto! No chip foose, ring brothers stuff....that car right there!!!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I'm with the group black / red is the bomb and will win against virtually every other combo at a show IFFFFFFFFF done right. Black is the toughest color to get right. There are so few black cars that DESERVE to be black. Every imperfection in body and paint work will show up in black gloss. It simply MUST be a first class paint job or go for another color. Grabber blue will be much more forgiving. A bogus black paint job will be obvious to any 10 year old. I taught my kids how to look at reflections to see the real body and paint work and they became instant paint snobs. Black is all about the reflections so you don't have to teach anything its there for any 10 year old to see.

·
Super Moderator
9,745 Posts
Start a Build Thread, I’d like to follow.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Nice set of options. The argent styled steel wheels are fairly rare, and look great on a 70 Mach.

Only thing I'd change is to put a 4 speed in it.

·
Registered
35,476 Posts
Makes you wonder that they would offer a 351 4bbl with a 3 speed
It was called the "standard transmission" for a reason. It was the standard no-option transmission on virtually all Ford cars. It's all about the MSRP. Only certain performance engines included a 4-speed transmission, and the 351 4V didn't make the cut. The first gear in a 3.03 was pretty steep, so a 351 4V 3-speed mach1 would actually be pretty quick. And the power band on the 351 was certainly wide enough to cover it, and gives one less shift during acceleration.

I once saw a 1969 Mustang Grandé with an L code 250 six cylinder and 3-speed manual trans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts