Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is my daily driver and I drive about between 4,000 and 5,000 mile a year.
I need some good insurance, I tried AAA but they told I would only get the blue book value of the car which isn't much. They also said I can't set the insurance value unless I do classic car coverage, which I can't because it is my daily driver. Anyone in LA with daily drivers insurance?

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
i have had state farm for 38 years and the last 65 i sold was insured for $30,000.00 un/under insured motorist/theft/fire etc. the car was built and was like new and i talked to my agent and got that coverage. i will be doing the same on my 65 i have now when its finished. all 3 of my vehicles are insured as daily drivers here in los angeles. you might need to have it appraised. i never let my insurance expire lest i get sent to the county farm !:shocked::shaking:

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've had Amica for decades for home and daily drivers. I did have a wreck in a classic car ten years ago. They sent an independent appraiser who knew what he was looking at. The repair cost was more than "book" value but the appraiser gave a more generous value and so they covered the cost of the repair and I was very happy. No hassles at all. Amica had always been known as an insurance company for people who actually have significant personal net worth to protect, unlike the Progressives and Geicos that are known as insurance companies for minimum required coverage. Lately tho, I've started seeing Amica commercials on TV that seem to be going after Progressive and Geico customers, so I hope they are not changing their business model.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Most "regular" insurance companies are going to argue with you about the cost of fixing your car. The reality is that all cars are different and expectations are different and generic price guides are little help. Neither are appraisals.

Try Heacock. They have recently come out with insurance for people like you.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm on Los Angeles and my agent told me I'd need to get an appraisal before they insure for the car's collectible value. Anyone know a good appraiser in Los Angeles?

DK

·
Registered
637 Posts
Your agent should be able to supply the appraiser. Why should that be your job? Your the customer.

For the record, I'm with State Farm, and I have used their appraiser, who has given very fair values on more than one vehicle over the years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I find this thread interesting as I have unsuccessfully found satisfactory insurance coverage for my car. Anytime I mention "Agreed Value" and "66 Mustang" in the same sentence regular insurance companies all say to get collector car insurance.

Have checked with Hagerty, Chub, Grundy's, and Heacock. Some will say that they cover pleasure driving and they encourage you to enjoy your car but the fine print all basically say something similar to:

"Auto may not be used for commuting to or from work or school, used for business purposes or as a substitute for another auto."

So what to do if something happens to your daily driver car? Lie? "I was ummm.. on my way to an event, yeah that's it, an event. At 7:30am. On a Monday."

I really don't want to resort to that but currently my insurance with my current carrier is totally unsatisfactory. Book value only. Is State Farm insurance Agreed Value?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am curious. When the insurance says "book" value, what do they mean. I looked up NADA value on my Mustang and listed it below. How would the insurance company estimate the value of my car? Is there another "book" they use. I would be happy to settle for the average NADA book value on my Mustang.

Pricing
Original
MSRPLow
RetailAverage
RetailHigh
Retail $2,848$13,150$20,200$26,200Options: (add options)Air Conditioning $850$1,500$2,200
See all options chosen
TOTAL PRICE$2,848$14,000$21,700 $28,400

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
insurance

Aus, not in LA, but I do have daily driver insurance on my '69. From AAA. I'm not really happy, but the 'classic' companies have far too many restrictions. I bought this car to drive it, not hide it in the garage. In nice summer weather, 2K a month. It seems to me that the extra care these cars get should be reflected in the price, but I haven't found anyone offering such. I'm certain that If there were an accident, I would have to fight with AAA....so I have appriasals and pictures. Still looking for something better. LSG

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
OK - I give up - What gives here. I live in San Diego and have my '66 insured with the AAA Collector Car insurance. It is covered for $20K. There are no mileage or use restrictions etc. Policy includes liability and comp. Annual cost is about $150. Am I missing something??

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
OK - I give up - What gives here. I live in San Diego and have my '66 insured with the AAA Collector Car insurance. It is covered for $20K. There are no mileage or use restrictions etc. Policy includes liability and comp. Annual cost is about $150. Am I missing something??
Is it agreed value or stated value. If it is stated value then your MAX insurance is $20K. That does not mean you will get all of that money if it is a total loss. The insurance company will have to be convinced that the car is worth that much. If not then you will get less.

With agreed value you get the entire amount if there is a total loss.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
With stated value the appraised amount is used to set your premium and to limit the amount of exposure the insurance company has.

Stated value makes sense for vehicles that are daily driven because they DO depreciate. Even if you have an appraisal that means pretty much nothing to the insurer. If your car is totalled they will have it appraised and you will get a depreciated amount.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Is it agreed value or stated value. If it is stated value then your MAX insurance is $20K. That does not mean you will get all of that money if it is a total loss. The insurance company will have to be convinced that the car is worth that much. If not then you will get less.

With agreed value you get the entire amount if there is a total loss.
I do not know that answer. I will have to call AAA and find out. AAA has always been fair over the last 43 years, but I better check it out. Thanks for the input. Will get back once I have an answer. Can't believe the low annual rate which definitely includes $500K liability. My 2000 Honda runs about $800 per year. Collector cars must be really safe.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can get the collector car insurance, but the policy will not let me use the car for work/school even thou my mileage is under 5000 a year . I called AAA and mentioned that I would like agreed value, they said they could sign me up for collector car policy, but because my car is a daily driver it doesn't fit in the restrictions.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I asked a Hagerty Insurance agent if I would be covered in the following circumstances. Each time his answer was no, followed with a detailed explanation.

1) Can I take my car to my office one sunny day per month and park it in a private lot?
No, this would be considered using the vehicle as a 'daily driver', not a pleasure vehicle.

2) Can I take the car to the mountains/coast for the weekend and park it in a secure Hotel parking lot?
No. Because when you are away from your primary residence for an extended period of time, you would have no choice but to use the vehicle as 'personal vehicle/daily driver' for all your activities and needs.

3) Can I take the car out of State to visit a friend for the weekend, parking it in the friends private driveway or garage?
No. Once again, because you are away from your primary residence for an extended period of time, you would have no choice but to use the vehicle as 'personal vehicle/daily driver' for all your activities and needs.

What if I were to use the friends car once I arrived at their out of State home?
Sorry, we would have no way to verify that.

4) Can I take it to WalMart to get a quart of oil?
No WalMart, whatsoever.

5) When am I covered?
During periodic pleasure driving, to and from events, etc.

I'm not knocking Classic car insurance carriers. I'm simply suggesting that people be aware that they're not covered in a wide variety of common driving situations (and they usually think they are).

Read the terms carefully. Even the wording on Hagerty's web site is ambiguous and misleading:

From their website, http://www.hagerty.com/us/auto.aspx?id=69482

What are your usage restrictions/guidelines?

"Simply put, we want you to enjoy your classic vehicle. While there are some restrictions in the policy, you’re covered for pleasure use, whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows".

"While there are some restrictions in the policy." That's a pretty wide area that's not clearly defined. When you check the fine print to see exactly what these "certain restrictions" are, I think you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I found that the Chrome policy's give me the most flexibility for my car. I can drive it when I want, where I want and it is insured for the amount of my appraisal.
CHROME Classic Car Insurance - ANPAC

1 - 20 of 29 Posts