Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd throw this out there, as I've seen some of the response before, but never paid attention to them. Now that have a baby on the way, I wish I had paid attention! Does anyone/has anyone installed a child seat in the back of their Mustang? I remember seeing a post on this. Another question: Any recommendations on installing 3 point shoulder seat belts? My 64.5 didn't have any rear seat belts. My daily driver, a historic 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix, is being put out to pasture. If I'm going to put money into an old car to fix, I'd rather it be my Mustang! I am seriously considering making my 64.5 my everyday driver, rain/shine/snow. I really don't want another car payment! Of course in January with 2 feet of snow, I may regret this decision.... :)

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
Rain, snow, shine. Do that and you'll be looking for another Mustang in about 3 years. They used untreated metal back then, and as this is known as the "rust Belt" you will find out why.

·
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Troy (66gtk) added seatbelts to the back of his 66 convertible for his
daughter's car seat.

I agree with the above though - I would not subject that car to salt.
In a couple of years, you will be worse off than what you started with.

-Zim

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think we are going to get a newer used car now. I would hate to have to redo all of the crap I'm doing now!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Regarding seatbelts. I just got a pair of black ones at Pep Boys ($15 ea.) and swapped them in from the original ones. They work much better with a car seat because they adjust easier, and I installed it so it clicks on a short side clearing the car seat. The originals fasten in the middle - big pain in the butt!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Before I traded the 69 coupe. We took Shelby for many rides with her car seat strapped into the back seat. The first car seats you use do not use the tether straps because they are rear facing. The seat belts only need to be lap belts. Even if you have a 3 point shoulder belt you have to use a clip to keep the shoulder belt out of the way. She has gone for a few trips in the 68 Galaxie the same way. Congrats again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts