Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you drive your mustangs daily?as your primary car?my mustang will soon be my only and first car,where there any special modifications that you did just because it is a DD?just getting ideas for the future thanks -Pete

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do not personally, but know several people that do. A friend of mine drive his 67 Coupe everyday and my brother also has a 67 coupe that he drive a lot! I love the Mustangs as much as anyone, but they lack to comfort and safty that I demand in a daily driver.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would drive mine daily. It was a I6 Coupe, and all I did was make it look nice to make sure the girls riding in the riceburners would turn thier heads and smile.

Man I love this hobby /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Pete, try a forum search on safety modifications. You may wish to upgrade brakes, suspension, seatbelts, and/or steering column. As well as seats, sound system, etc. for comfort and convenience. You certainly can drive a stock Mustang as your DD... it depends on what you want, how much '60s safety standards you can accept, and how willing you are to modify your classic.

Steve

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I drive the Mach quite a bit, a must if redo your suspension work! I cant stress this enough, for my mach anyhow. I feel pretty safe in my boat /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The D-coder in my sig line is the small parts runner/all purpose vehicle/ bike hauler in our household...about the only thing I don't do anymore is take it on long trips (more than a couple of hours) because the chassis has 200K on it now and needs a rebuild.

IME, if you keep it simple and stock and perform regular maintenance and tune-ups, it won't let you down...I've done very little to the D-coder in the nearly 9 years I've owned it...

It won't attract a crowd at a car show but, given the local auto theft rate, I guess that's a good thing *G*

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Comfortable seats are a must! A five speed or other form of overdrive is nice. No 5 leaf springs in the rear, and don't get too stiff in the front suspension either. A car that doesn't leak water in the winter would be nice too, but you know where we stand on those issues.

Make it comfortable and practical. Blowers and hood scoops towering 3 feet above the hood wouldn't be your most reliable source of power.

Next on my agenda of major mods is new tires and brakes.
I wish you luck on your new mustang.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I drive mine everyday. I added headrests and three point seat belts. Also, added new tires and wheels, upgraded the suspension with new springs all the way around, and definitely keep the brakes serviced. The new stereo system keeps me happy too. Since you have a fastback, you might seriously consider putting on a passenger side rearview mirror also. It's more handy than you think.

The only touches that would make life completely cherry would be A/C, comfortable seats, power steering, and power brakes in that order.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I drive mine daily and love it.
I love it even more because of the upgrades I've made / about to make.

1. Disk brakes (an absolute must)
2. A/C (a must in the texas heat)
3. power steering (coming next weekend)
4 rebuilt suspension (coming next weekend)
5. 3 point belts (coming soon)
6 fuel cell (coming soon)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I drive my Cal Special every day. My wife drives my '71 every day (untill I get her Surburban fixed).
Modifications might be made to suit your driving needs. You might want an electronic ignition if you do a lot of driving and do not want to hassle points. Cooling system might be upgraded if you do a lot of stop and go. Brakes might need to be upgraded also.

I guess what I am trying to say is it depends a lot on your drivng needs. You might not need any changes, or you might need several, including safety upgrades as another poster has sugested .

If you inclued more information on your car and driving specifics you will get some great tips to suit your needs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My 68 is my daily when I am not riding my 93 Sportster. Ditto the others on the necessary upgrades, brakes, suspension, relaibility.

Brian

·
Administrator
12,995 Posts
I drive my 65 daily. Rebuilt drum brakes, new carb, wheels & tires.
Stan

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I have a 66 coupe, 67 convertible, and a 72 Ranchero I use as daily drivers. My 70 XR7 convertible will soon join the list as well. I even use the 67 convertible and 72 ranchero as part of my work/business routine. I have several vending machines, and love driving the vert to each of my accounts while doing maintenance and collections. I use the ranchero to haul vending machines around as well. I have a newer chevy astro van that is loaded with extras that I bought mainly for using for work, but it rarely ever leaves the driveway as I enjoy driving all the others. I like to be social with folks, and the classics just seems to bring that side out in folks when they walk or drive by your car. Doesn't happen when driving a mini van.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I plan for my 66 to be a daily dirver. Upgrades that were important to me are:
Updated seat belts (3 point, safty)
Updated/high back front seats (safty and comfort)
Brakes (M/C and larger front disks)
5 s/p trans.

As I start to dirve it more, I will make other changes to suit my personal tastes. This is one of neat things of having an older car I work on. But note, I did not NEED to make any of these changes, I just wanted to.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mine was until it went back into the body shop to fix their screwups. It will be again as soon as I get it all back together.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I plan on driving my car daily next summer but I also like having more safety features too. I am looking into 4 wheel disk power brakes with ABS. That is about all I can do to this car to update it. I would like to have all the latest technologies like air-bags, key coded ignitions and better seatbelts; however, that stuff can never be installed. I work at the Automitive division for Motorola and I have all the access and knowledge of some of the best engineers in the industry. We talk cars all the time. Sometimes for hours. If I had enough money i could get everything made up. There might be a market there for it... Anybody interested? I might be able to start something since there are so many people restoring mustangs.
Brent

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drive mine daily. I'll have it up at school this fall. Couldn't take it last year as a freshman. I love driving mine everyday. I love being 19 and driving a car that today's middle aged guys drove when they were my age. But most of all, I like having a car that people don't see on a regular basis on the road.

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As a minimum I think you need to do the following....

First (this is required) get some good brakes. I would go with the Granada swap. Its cheap and reliable. You don't need rear disks, they don't do much of the stopping anyway.

First and half, make sure that all the suspension is rebuilt or in good shape.

Second, 3 point belts and high back buckets from a modern Mustang.

Third, instead of a fuel cell, you may consider a metal trunk separation plate. At leat when you get rear ended, you don't have that rush of fuel heading at you. Its much cheaper, but certainly no where near the safety of a fuel cell. But no commercially available car has a fuel cell either.

Fourth, make the engine a little more reliable. Get a professionally rebuild carb with electric choke and change out the points for a Pertronix Igniter.

Then, A/C if you want it, a radio, etc.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yes a 65 fastback
1. 3 point seatbelts
2. racing fuel cell
3. Stone gaurd on new SS fuel line.
4. Front disk brakes w SS brake lines
5. Dual master cylinder
6. 70 high back seats for head neck protection.
( looking at changing them, I'm too tall for them and hit the roof)
7. Export brace and Monte Carlo bar. for structural strength.
8. Brighter headlights.
9. New rear light reflectors
10. Great sound system.

Other want to do's

Possible power brake booster, but we've gotten used to the manual brakes.
Side lights for visibility
LED rear brake lights.
Side door beams
Collapsible streering column

Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts