Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
My '67 recently became my dd, but I started the work on it earlier. I should probably do a bit more but as of now I have:

--rebuilt all four drums, also replaced several lines
--rebuilt the front suspension, new shocks
--rebuilt carb
--had to redo floor pans for structural support and parking brake support
--replaced all engine electrical

And recently I replaced the wiring harnesses in my engine compartment and added a cd player (still have the one speaker though /forums/images/icons/wink.gif), and I just had the engine looked over and the compression ok'd.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I drive my '67 coupe daily and I love it. Yes, I would like to drive another car as my d/d only because I want to keep the mileage down as much as I can. At 280k she's due for some retirement from d/d status. As for saftey additions, I added Pertronix (more for reliability) and had radial tires put on. I upgraded to a 4 core radiator and just generally keep her maintained and running. I still have the drum brakes on her but I have them serviced and checked. When I got the car from my parents a few years ago, i had the engine rebuilt and all of the suspension replaced with new stuff. I would recommend A/C (mine isn't working right now) and good tunes.
Many people always say to me that they are worried that if i get into a car accident, i wouldn't be protected as much as a new car. To some extent that may be a little true but aren't our cars made of steel and modern cars made of aluminum? No wonder they have all of the saftey features. I wouldn't want to be in my car if it were made of aluminum and got into an accident. Overall I think that we would fare pretty well in an accident, but i do think that upgrades are a good idea.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
We got our pony about two months ago and she had been abused. I was using it DD but there was too much work needed. Ball joints and tie rod ends made it unsafe. Now I'm driving a Ram 1500 during the day.

Before I put the pony back on the road, I'm going to:
1) replace all ball joints and tie rod ends
2) reinstall the A/C (yep, summer in Texas)
3) replace the floorpan
4) replace PS and Brake lines

I plan to do the body work and prime each area as I go so she may be an Appaloosa for a while. Also planning to build a 351 C to drop in when the 289 finally gives out.

Good luck

21 - 23 of 23 Posts