Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up one of the new RTX units from Dakota. Got a great deal on it and wanted the better lighting, trip odo and a bunch of the other features.

The wiring looks relatively straightforward, but there isn't much about where to mount the Box, the toggle switch or the dimmer switch in our cars. There actually isn't anything! Thew few articles out there don't show much. I did some digging and saw some crudely placed boxes just left resting on the dash support or pedal support.

Whats everyone been doing?

I'd like to make the rats nest that is my under dash area a bit cleaner :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have an hdx and the resto shop mounted the controller on a piece of metal up high above the drivers kick panel. I also added the TMPS sensors,gear position sensor, MSD atomic and the cruise control modules. Worked out well so far. Putting kick panel speakers in and it all seems to mock up so far.

96.jpg 147.JPG 176.jpg

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just wired tied mine above the steering column under the dash. Also drilled a hole under the dash to mount the toggle switch just left of the courtesy light.
I have the dimmer but never installed it. No problems at night. But, I do have the original all digital gauges installed from 10-15 years ago.

But, I did grab a deal off of Instagram for the RTX. So, I will be installing those soon and getting rid of the original all digital.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wired tied mine above the steering column under the dash. Also drilled a hole under the dash to mount the toggle switch just left of the courtesy light.
I have the dimmer but never installed it. No problems at night. But, I do have the original all digital gauges installed from 10-15 years ago.

But, I did grab a deal off of Instagram for the RTX. So, I will be installing those soon and getting rid of the original all digital.

The autoworks parts deal? I did the same. Got the RTX in metric.

Just running through the install now. Trying to be meticulous and clean up the mess that is the jumble of under dash wires.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes, that was the deal. Could not pass it up!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty, I'm just making sure I've got all my wiring sorted.

The gauges themselves are simple and the senders all wired as is the ground. But....

I'm gonna use a spare spot off the upgraded fuse block for the constant 12V. Unless someone has a better idea.

for 12V key on power I can use the black dash plug? The one the radio plugs into?

For tail light (engages the night mode for the cluster) I'm going off the black tail light wire that comes off the headlamp switch?

Dome light (gives an indication a door is ajar), I'm going to run a feed off the unused black/blue plug wire for the console courtesy light?

Tach, off the additional black wire I ran to bypass the pink wire from the tach?

Before my brain melts...

·
Registered
703 Posts
It was a group buy on Instagram. Saved about $300 or close to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts