Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am part of a volunteer Chainsaw group that travels the US after storms, getting trees off houses, etc. Florida, N Carolina, Wisconsin, mostly Texas. as I live in the Dallas area, and there are a lot of tornadoes in Texas and Oklahoma.

Last night, an F-1 went through, lots of trees does, buildings damaged.

We had light damage to trees, no structural, as we are just outside the F-1 wind pattern, but this time, I basically can walk to the work that needs to be done.

No injuries reported so far.

·
Dimples
3,455 Posts
Yeah, that was a heckuva storm. For once, it appears that Tarrant County missed most of the action. I’m not complaining.

Good on you for being a trusty chainsaw.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Glad it sounds like everyone was ok. Friend of mine retired from military and he volunteers with a group of people doing this and other disaster relief with Team Rubicon. It is pretty cool way to volunteer. I wish everyone that has time to volunteer in some form or another in the USA would do so. I volunteer in the kitchen at a camp with kids on ventilators a week every summer. Seems like today a lot of people are selfish. Kinda sad. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
447 Posts
As usual the heavy part of the two storms missed us. They always seem to split and go right around us. We got some wind and about a half inch of rain. Leaves and twigs to clean up. Just to our north west was the really bad part along hwy 51 north of springtown. A friend of mine had a good bit of hail damage from golfball and bigger hail.
We had a couple good size golf ball sized but just a couple. I was really hoping for a new roof....

The better 3/4 had a long night... She was working a trim from Memphis to Cincinnati ( Kentucky airport). They were delayed to DFW and landed between the two lines of storms. Then left for Cincinnati after the second storm at about 2:30 am. She didn't get into her hotel room until 7:30 am this morning.

On the good side it pushed away that 90* weather and it's a really nice 73* and a very low 26% humidity even though it rained last night...

·
Registered
618 Posts
The DFW area has to be an interesting place to live. In 2011, my stop over was at DFW. A major hail storm hit the airport area while enroute and all the planes at the gates and on the tarmac had to be inspected for hail damage. Our flight was diverted to KC and the weather was an issue there too. By the time we made it to DFW, the last flights for the night were full. I got to sleep on a cot in one of the terminals till a flight with room was available in the morning.

I am glad everyone is OK and dogged the brunt of the storms.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm expecting a call in about 25 minutes from her saying that the car has hail damage and broken windows....... Her plane is just about to land... She has been lucky over the years and avoided the hail storms usually by a few hours. Everyone that works at the airport or is flight crew have a beater car just for the airport because if the weather doesn't ruin your car you fellow employees will. There is no respect for others cars in that lot and the spaces are very narrow.

Usually ground stops are an hour or less because that's how long it takes for the storm to go through and clear out again. We rarely have rain for longer than that. DFW does have weather delays but ORD is much much worse because they have a season called winter there which we do not have and their airport operations are horrible. They now have one more runway than DFW and still don't know how to use them. Though EGGL puts everyone to shame running more flights on only two runways.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Usually ground stops are an hour or less because that's how long it takes for the storm to go through and clear out again. We rarely have rain for longer than that. DFW does have weather delays but ORD is much much worse because they have a season called winter there which we do not have and their airport operations are horrible. They now have one more runway than DFW and still don't know how to use them. Though EGGL puts everyone to shame running more flights on only two runways.
ORD has only closed a couple times for that winter thing. I got to experience one of them over a New Year's Eve blizzard 1998. Stuck there for 3 days. But I suppose 28" of snow will do that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
ORD has only closed a couple times for that winter thing. I got to experience one of them over a New Year's Eve blizzard 1998. Stuck there for 3 days. But I suppose 28" of snow will do that.
The snow slows down overall traffic and they have allot more ground stops due to weather than we do. Closing and a ground stop are different animals. And one cancelled flight into ORD has a chain effect that screws up traffic everywhere. As a passenger you don't see the whole picture like you do from the inside. We avoid ORD like the plague when traveling because allot of people connect through ORD and when operations are messed up they run everyone through DFW.

·
Dimples
3,455 Posts
The DFW area has to be an interesting place to live.
It is, but we have virtually no earthquakes, fires or mudslides, and hurricanes peter out to regular thunderstorms by the time they get here, so it's really not that bad. At least with a tornado, you can usually see it, and if necessary, outrun it. I was leaving downtown Fort Worth when the twister hit in 2000. I literally had that thing in the rear view mirror of my 96 Mustang GT and I was driving faster than it was moving.

Every place has it's weather or natural disasters to contend with. I'll take my chances with tornados, occasional hail and even less frequent ice. I've never shoveled snow in my life, and for that, I'm thankful.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I'm in the far north east corner of Texas which is a decent drive east of Dallas and I live out in the sticks pretty much. There are lots of trees everywhere.

Mostly, it seems to be the oaks that come down around where I live. I guess there is something about oak. It is pretty strong up to the point of failure or fracture but then a tornado will tear everything up. I have only had high winds but there have been tornadoes hit all around where I live(not recently though).

I did have a huge elm tree split in half and fall across the top of my shop. Fortunately it only punched through the metal roof and didn't damage any of the joists. It was a royal pain to fix all that though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah not many earthquakes lately. We had quite a few back when they were fracking with the epicenter about 2 miles north of us. A friend had bought a house and we did a total remodel on right before then... After the earthquakes he had to go back and pull the trim off the doors and realign them so they would open and close.... The only damage we had was a couple drywall cracks. They were 3.0-3.5 but we sit on sand so there is more sinkage of houses when it happens.

Funny though that they happened frequently until just before christmas when they went on vacation. After newyears when they went back to work they started again... Oh but the fracking didn't cause it....

·
Registered
69 Posts
One of the tornadoes hit just south of us in Richardson as it cut west to east across 75 Central Expressway. Luckily it appears there were not a lot of injuries. A lot of damage can be seen from the expressway. Everybody is clogging up traffic both ways just to look at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts