Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, as some of you know, i hooked up the good mechanical to it the other day and found out the oil pressure was pretty damned low.. what could have been the effects of driving around with the low oil pressure ? i dont hear any horrible clunking going on from the bottom end, everything SOUNDS decent when running, but you never know... i guess that would explain the lifter tap i had from one of the lifters recently...

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Well....you can look at my experiences when I lost oil pressure last week.

I now have to tear the motor down and replace the bearings.
I may also have to get the crank turned which means I will then need oversized bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Not oversized bearings...You'll need undersized bearings. If they cut the crank, then it'll be smaller than it was.

If that needs to be done, make sure that you get the oilholes chamfered and crank straightened and journals micro-polished. You can also get it nitrided or Tuff-trided. That'll make the journals super hard and have a little more resistance to scuffing.

The cost is about $35-$50 for the chamfering and polishing and about $100 + or - for hardening.......

Gary.........::

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Since you're likely going to replace the oil pump, while you're in there, pop some caps and inspect bearings. Also, plastiguage the bearings you inspect to check clearance.

Report back what you observe and what debris, if any, shows up in the sump of the oil pan. Pictures are always nice. Do this before going to the trouble of installing the new oil pump.

Edited to add....disassemble old oil pump and examine gears/housing. Again, pictures are nice. I'm especially interested in the end plate and the thrust clearance. You should be able to plastiguage this as well.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, for the sake of humor in all of this, i DO RUN PROLONG IN MY ENGINE!!....hey man, on the infomercial they run the cars on the track with NO oil at all and even poured dirt onto and into the engine and valve train .hehe, my poor attempts at trying to make myself feel better about this

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
There is no way in hell they can run it without oil, but they can run it with 5 quarts of prolong. Maybe you should have been using 5 quarts of prolong?
The way i see it if a little bit of addative is good then no oil and just addative will make an engine diehard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts