Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a new manifold and carb soon. My lifters are noisy so I figure that should be done as well in the same process. I know I can do the manifold and carb, I dont know about the lifters though. Has anyone here done this before and do you think its something to be left for a mechanic. Any instructions advice etc would be helpfull. THanks

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's not that hard to change the lifters; however, you normally change both the cam and lifers together. I guess you can get away with it. Just make sure you use the break in compound that they recomend on the cam and lifters. Go out and buy a book on it. You have to turn the engine over by hand to make sure you are in the right cycle so that when you torque down the rocker arms you don't torque the valves onto the pistons. Take the new lifters apart and pour new oil into them and put them back together. It only takes about 20 minutes to do. this will prime up the lifters and you won't have to listen to them knock when you first start it back up.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
lifters are usually noisy from lower oil supply; i.e. worn crank/bearings

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't like to prime them up by hand using a pushrod and submersing the lifter in oil like some people do. You take the chance of marring up the lifter. Any scratches could case major perfomance problems in a short period of time. You will end up changing both the lifters and the cam again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts