Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the engine/engine bay restoration on my car last week and have made good progress. Tonight I took the engine apart more and found sludge in the heads and beneath the intake manfold. (Back when I bought the car, the shop I had do a tune and oil change told me about the sludge. This was over 2 years, so I had figured it had thinned out and wasnt a problem). It now seems that I am at a crossroads. I can freshen the engine up cosmetically with new paint etc. but will it run well? Or I could rebuild it for $2,000 and know that I will have no problems. If money and time was not an issue, there would be no question about a rebuild.

How does the sludge hurt the engine? Will there be a lack of performance if I dont rebuild?

I could and should probably come up with the extra $$ to rebuild it to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Sludge tends to restrict the flow of fluids. If the compression of the engine checks out ok, then I would do a chemical flush, pull the pan making sure it's clean and drop her in the car.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a compression test done right after I bought the car and all 8 cylinders checked out fine. So should flushing the engine take care of the sludge and save me the money of a rebuild?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It might, at least you won't hurt anything. Flush it clean and do a leakdown test and if things check out well you can feel pretty safe about durability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts