Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dash lights have stopped working. Today I checked everything out and the best that I can tell it is the headlight switch that is causing the problem. Probably just starting to wearout. My question is how hard it this to change out. Seems as if it may be tough to get to underneath. I feel sure that many of you have done this task and can give me a feel for it.

I haven't yet gotten the new switch I am just trying to lay some goundwork and get the needed confidence/guidance before jumping into it.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Before you pull the ignition switch, pull the gauge panel off. Pull out one of the dash lights and remove the bulb. With the headlight switch on, check for 12V between the socket and ground. Or use a test light between the socket and ground.

If you have 12V (or the test light lights) the switch is good. If not, it may be the switch.

And not to be a smarta$$, but be sure you check the fuse first. The dash lights are on a separate fuse. A multimeter or test light comes in handy. The fuse can actually look fine, but be blown. Check for 12V (or light) on both sides of the fuse to ground.

It may very well be your lightswitch, but it is much easier to eliminate everything else first.

Plus - when you have the gauge panel out it's quite easy to replace the light switch. The hardest part is getting the bezel off. There is a button on the switch, behind the dash, that releases the knob and shaft. Pull the plug off the back of the switch, remove the bezel (CCW) and pull the switch out. Installation is just the reverse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts