Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the news from the trrack in an e-mail today.
If the FBD runs faster than 13.99 I have to have a roll cage in it because it is a convertible. If it was a hard top all I would need is a helmet /forums/images/icons/frown.gif These are NHRA rules and they are the rules they go by.
I Ran a 14.38 with a V tech and that was with out tuning or a good burnout to get traction.
I doubt I will ever put a roll cage in it.
Oh sorrow, sorrow, cry, cry!
I really wanted to do the 1/4.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Can't you get one good run in (based on the old time), and then you will get bumped into the tighter category. At least then you would know what the car was capable of at a ballpark level.

John

·
Registered
378 Posts
TFOB,
Since you really dont know what you will run... just go on an open street night and run... if you go faster then allowed they will tell you to leave... at least you will know what you run... then when you get a cage you can run again.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I was just talking to friends about this last night. They have a Mopar of some sort that happily runs 11:20's. They've been "asked to leave" 4 times in the last year ! Seems the guys at the track don't have very good memories and don't write things down. Go for it !

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They told me any convertible that runs 13.99 or better has to have a roll cage. Thats all they said.
According to NHRA it is only a roll bar at 13.99
Check this out.
http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html
So I could just put a roll bar in. Still seems like a lot of work.
Mybe I'll just make the 1 run. see what it does.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey Tony: I can see it all now....1 pass, then home for the cage...then, just a little NOS...then a little more NOS...then maybe a 5.13 rear gear.....No, honey, can't drive it on the street any more. I took all the exhaust off....On and ON.......

be careful....

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If the track is NHRA sanctioned, then you'll need to follow the rulebook if you want to run there. Last I looked, a roll bar, with specific attachments (there's pix in the rulebook), is all that's needed for 'verts until they get beyond 11.00's. Haven't raced in a couple of years but that rule's been around for 20+. Of course you'll need the correct restraints as well.

I'd say get a hard run in and then decide if you want to run the car at that level on a regular basis and make the changes to make it legal. You can still make a ton of money in Street if you're competetive..

Just imagine how your wife/SO would feel watching you go upside down in a 'vert with no roll bar....trust me, it all happens in slow motion when you're in the stands, even more so down on the starting line. When I'm sitting in the water box and have seen something like that (a couple of times), it's enough to make me get religion...just keep that in mind..

Have fun!

·
Registered
394 Posts
As others have already suggested, go to the track and make a pass. See how the car performs. The stands are full of people that think their cars can easily run in the 13s or 12s or 11s. Until you have run it, you won't know. IF you go faster than 13.99, they may invite you to leave on the spot. Then you'll have to decide just how badly you want to race this car. Remember, these rules are all there for a reason and for your protection. I was reminded three weeks ago just how fast a pass can disintegrate when the rear wheels locked just after shifting into 3rd gear and the pinion shaft snapped at about the 1000" mark. Sometimes its a good thing when stuff breaks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts