Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a pair of Dart Pro 1 heads. They have 58cc combustion chambers and 195cc intake runners. I would be installing them onto a HO 5.0 with roller cam (stock) and 4bbl carburetor (converted from FI). The car is a 66 Mustang with an AOD automatic transmission and 3.50 gears; used as a street cruiser, not a drag car. My concern is runner size. Will the large runners be a problem in typical stop and go driving for a mostly stock 5.0?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Your compression will be around 10.75, and depending on you local gas situation it could possibly put you out of pump gas range. The 195 intake runners shouldn't be too much of a problem since you have a 3.50 rear and AOD. Might have to loosen up the converter though.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
What headers do you have? If other than a stock pair, make sure they will fit.

Don’t know if they are the same as what you’re looking at, but I have dart iron eagle heads and wound up having to buy a set from FPA to clear all the spark plugs. Nothing else would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
" My concern is runner size. Will the large runners be a problem in typical stop and go driving for a mostly stock 5.0?"

You will probably pick up 40 plus horsepower. The runners will not be an issue. You will more then likely have valve to piston clearance issues with stock pistons

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all. Your responses have saved me from making an impulse purchase without considering possible consequences. I will kick back, enjoy my current ride, and... contemplate a stroker engine!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts