Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stripped down my dash before replacing my new crash pad. I decided to repaint all the metal and got a can of Ivy-Gold paint. It's the same color as the door but is more gold than green as the dash. My question is, is the interior of the door suppose to be different or are the same as the dash? The interior of the doors have been painted before and was wondering how many different shades of Ivy-Gold are there? Any help out there?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hello.The metal stuff should all be same color,as should the vinyl stuff.The two won't be exactly the same as each other,though,because of the different textures.On a side note,Ivy gold paints that I've used that came in rattle cans didn't cover very well,so you'll probably need more than one can.Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellow VMFers. Now I'm not hesitant to painting it. Maybe the shade of Ivy-Gold just looks different after 36 years. I've started sanding and plan on using a primer too. Any other advise?

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Prior to painting the final color, and it's turning out to be transparent, giving bad coverage, make sure that the entire surface is painted with primer. Have never used that color but perhaps a ground coat of a similar non metallic color could be put on first-just one thin coat. Having a uniform base is important. I know that with the 66/7 interior red, found it very helpful to lay on a thin similar color of non metallic red groundcoat. Was then able to get the coverage.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Go to your local paint place and get them to mix you up some correct interior color. I've used the rattle cans available from the Mustang shops, and have had very bad results. Once I bought three cans, all labeled the same, Med Blue for 71. Each can was a different color blue! This paint tends to cover like crap, requiring 4 or 5 coats. I've since changed exclusively to my local paint store for all my paint needs. Most can even package the color in rattle cans for the air compressor-less.

try www.paintworldinc.com

Try this link for the color codes, it's for a 68, but you'll get the idea...

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1968-ford-pg02.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts